• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag LAT8640BAL tub cover replacement - how to and parts needed?

rustytop

Premium Member
Model Number
LAT8640BAL
Brand
Maytag
I would like to replace the tub cover on this washer. The old one is rusting and sometimes rubs rust flakes off on the laundry.

How difficult is this to replace? I am unable to discover any online videos for removing the tub cover on this particular type of machine. (I am screwdriver and wrench capable, not so skilled beyond that.)

Are there any seals or other parts that could break in the removal process or will be too worn out to go back together well?

Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The tub cover is no longer available for this model:
206380 Tub Cover

I did locate the video, it starts at the 18:47 mark for installing the tub cover if you are able to locate one.

[video=youtube_share;FNN13Aqkj8I]

Jake

rustytop

Premium Member
Thank you.

2 questions.

Just replacing the tub cover, there would be no necessity to remove the agitator? The tub would still move sufficiently to loosen and remove parts?

Could I have a reasonable expectation that the triangular seal referred to would be reusable?

Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Correct, you don't need to remove the agitator to replace the tub cover.

Could I have a reasonable expectation that the triangular seal referred to would be reusable?
Possibly yes, but check to make sure its not torn or ripped and not stiff.

Here it is for your model:
WP211232 Seal

Jake

rustytop

Premium Member
More probably busted parts.

Attachments

• Washer elbow 1.jpg
    Washer elbow 1.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Washer clamp ring bolt.jpg
    Washer clamp ring bolt.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 21

rustytop

Premium Member
I have been very afraid to get into the washer. I thought I had made a post about it somewhere, but could not remember what and where. Somewhere I got the idea that the tub cover spacing between it and something else is critical, and that is the kind of thing I have a lot of trouble getting right.

I have just been through a nightmare repair experience with that washer. As I said, this forum did not turn up in my looking. I posted elsewhere and got exactly zero answers. I have been tempted to post the problem here, just to see how you would answer it and to leave an internet record of the issue, but I hate to waste your time.

At any rate, when the machine was open, I got these two pictures. I don't know the size of the clamp ring bolt and nut, and I am not sure that they would come off anyway without the clamp ring breaking. A new clamp ring, ring and shipping, is probably going to cost me another $70 or so. That discouraged me enough that I haven't even tried to figure out what the rusted elbow is and what it would cost. I have the tub cover and a gasket, just not sure if I want to keep buying other parts.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, your Maytag is in very bad shape, it will be a nightmare to disassemble it without breaking parts off because of the rust and corrosion, trust me I lived in South Texas when I was in my 20's with all the humidity in the middle of summer and sweating my ass off in my younger days was fine, now at 55 years old I'd rather not. LOL

And since the tub cover is No Longer Available, no sense in wasting time on it.:)

Jake

rustytop

Premium Member
What is the likelihood of the water inlet hose breaking after 30+ years. Do you find those still stay flexible? I was watching the first of the video you provided and it takes a little stress when the tube is rotated to remove it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

rustytop

Premium Member
Yes.

I located a clamp ring that I decided I could afford.

I have learned that the elbow in the left picture above is plastic, not metal. The video you found for me above shows that elbow being twisted a quarter turn to the right. I figure as long as the hose has some flex in it, I can probably get the old fitting out and clean it up, needing only the seal.

I suppose what I need to do is to open the machine up and feel the hoses to see if they still flex. Since I have to move the machine to do that, I can't consider doing that until my back heals from my kitchen faucet plumbing fiasco.

I think I may have to open the machine up anyway, because I have noticed another part in the diagrams, an out of balance bumper that is no longer supplied. I need to see what that is and what it looks like on my machine. If that is something that needs to be removed and transferred to another cover, that could be a problem.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the tub top clamp assembly for your model:
200846 Clamp

I suppose what I need to do is to open the machine up and feel the hoses to see if they still flex.
Yes, make sure they are still flexible and brittle/hard as a rock.:)

Jake

rustytop

Premium Member
Yes, thank you. I Identified that from your earlier post. However, the video shown with the part is totally useless when it comes to understanding how to replace this part on the LAT machines which are displayed in one of the videos I linked. It would be great if you all had some video coverage of that machine model as well.

Since you removed the videos I linked in post 12, please delete post 12 entirely and then this one as well. I will figure out a place to put notes about the video links so I can find them again when I get into the machine.

The parts I will potentially need are in the top part of the assembly above and I have found a partial 206680 kit that includes those items. I expect to have it in a couple of weeks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What videos? This one?

rustytop

Premium Member
I see that the out of balance bumper I was concerned about in post 10 above comes as a glued on rubber part on the ring.

It is disappointing to see that failures in the enameling process will allow this ring to rust through in almost the same spot that is rusted out on the old one.

(There is also an enamel chip out beside the injector tube hole which will speed up rusting in the other place where the old ring has currently failed.)

Attachments

• Washer tub ring.jpg
    Washer tub ring.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 15

rustytop

Premium Member
Thank you for reposting the video. I have attached one more picture I got before when the machine was open, that shows why I may need that video. Not sure just how many parts getting that elbow loose is going to affect.

Attachments

• Washer injector tube.jpg
    Washer injector tube.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 18

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see that clearly.

Jake

rustytop

Premium Member
I obtained a Jason 206680 kit. It is not assembled, and unlike the Maytag kits, does not include the lower hose.

( I am hoping that with the airgap fastened to the frame, the maximum repair I would need is the elbow and its seal, with possibly the addition of the upper hose and its clamps.)

Last edited:

rustytop

Premium Member
The effort to avoid prolonged downtime from additional possible broken parts as asked about in post 1:

Obtained Parts:

MayCor 200846 clamp
Maytag 211232 seal

from Jason 206680 kit

215233 seal
215235 elbow
215515 clamp (2)
215234 upper hose

Attachments

• Washer Tub Top supplemental parts.jpg
    Washer Tub Top supplemental parts.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 15