• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag M1TXEGMMYB01 freezer at 25F refrigerator at 40F

severs

Premium Member
Model Number
M1TXEGMYB01
Brand
Maytag
A month or so ago, this unit starting clicking every second or so for about a minute once a day in the evening (that I noticed). Actually it sounded more like a click/knock. Eventually it would give up and the fridge would go silent, then restart after a while.

I didn't notice any change in cooling performance, until yesterday I noticed items from the freezer were not frozen solid, and liquids from the refrigerator were not as cold. I checked and the freezer is about 25F and the refrigerator is 40-45F.

The compressor is running and the fan is blowing, but it is very warm and the surface measures around 115F at the lower part to 140F at the top. As an aside, I found that a family of mice had made a home in the back of the fridge. I can't see that they had chewed through anything.

I blew everything out of there and off the coils with a leaf blower, with no change in cooling performance. I have not checked the evaporator coils yet. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you hear the freezer evaporator fan motor running inside the freezer section?

If so, then remove the back panel inside the freezer and take a photo of your evaporator coil and upload it here, we need to see the frost pattern on it to determine the problem.

This video below shows you how to replace the evaporator fan motor, but you don't need to replace it if its working, I'm just posting the video to show you how to remove the back panel inside the freezer to get access to your evaporator coil.

Jake

severs

Premium Member
Hello Jake, thanks for your reply. The evaporator fan does run. Here is a pic of the coils. I'm assuming that chunk of ice is a problem:)

Attachments

• evaporator.jpg
    evaporator.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 55

severs

Premium Member
As a status report, I melted the ice, put everything back together, put the half frozen food back in, and plugged it back in. It's been a couple of hours and just down to 32F in the freezer so far.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Per your photo, you have a sealed system problem.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions.

Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

It's been a couple of hours and just down to 32F in the freezer so far.
It should be at 0 degrees F in 2 hours, that also proves its a sealed system problem.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome.

Jake