• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag MAH6700AWW control board capacitor replacement

Jrm523

Model Number
MAH6700AWW
Brand
Maytag
Model: MAH6700AWW

Issue: Spin cycle during wash will not spin high speed. However, a manual spin only cycle will spin high speed. (Symptoms may vary. This was my experience)

Problem: Capacitors on the control board have weakened and are starting to fail

Resolution: Replace control board capacitors

Please note that I didnt originally plan on posting this. However, I wanted to get this on the web to possibly help others out. I dont go into a lot of detail but am hoping this will point you in the right direction if you are experiencing a similar issue.

Summary:
We have a Maytag side load MAH6700AWW washing machine (circa 2006) that runs well. It got to a point where the spin cycle would not go into a high-speed spin. It would keep trying and until it finally decided to quit. As you can imagine, the clothes would come out soaking wet. However, it you stopped the wash cycle and manually selected a spin cycle, it would work fine. This led me to believe the capacitor(s) on the control board was starting to fail.

I removed the control board only to find out that the circuit board is potted in a silicone type material. As disheartening as this was, I was determined not to replace my washing machine over a couple of $2 capacitors. The method below is how I repaired my washing machine.

I am not a repairman nor am I an electronics expert. I am a regular guy with an engineering mindset who likes to repair things and learn how they work. This job may seem a bit intimidating (to some), it wasn't too hard.

Tools needed:
- A plastic spudger or similar: A fantastic alternative is wooden kabob sticks. They won't damage the board and allow you to get through the potting material

- Heat gun: I used a cheap one from harbor freight. You might also get away with a "good" hairdryer

- Soldering gun

- Quality rosin core lead solder: I used this.

- Solder wick

- Solder flux

- Dremel with cutting disk

Step 1: Remove the control board from the washer. This involves removing the washer lid (screws in the back) and some additional Phillips screws in the front. Then you will want to pry the clips holding the washer control board to the washer. Unplug all of the wires. The control board is located behind the top piece that the main knob is on and comes out as one piece.

Step 2: Separate the control board housing from the unit (additional Phillips screws)

Step 3: Cut out access holes on the rear of the control board housing. I used a permanent marker to draw out multiple areas on the black plastic backing plate. Use a Dremel with a cutting disk to SLOWLY cut the access holes out. If you go too deep you will damage the board. Go slow and take your time. Stop frequently to remove the plastic debris that builds up. My board had a good amount of silicon between the control board and the plastic backing plate. I also used a small pic to help clean out the cuts and pry away the plastic pieces.

Step 4: Remove the potting compound. First, remove the potting compound from around the capacitors on the front of the control board. Then, remove the potting compound on the rear of the board where you cut out the access holes. Take your time and don't use anything that will damage the board. You can use the heat gun to heat up the area that you are working on to make it easier to remove the potting compound. Once heated up, the potting compound will crumble out and is pretty easy to get off of the board.

Step 5: Document your capacitors. I numbered the capacitors on the backing plate with a marker and wrote them all down on paper.

Step 6: Remove the old capacitors with a soldering iron. Use soldering wick to remove the remaining old solder. Sometimes i find it easier to add more solder and then pull it all up with the soldering wick. You can use rubbing alcohol to clean up the areas afterward.

Step 7: Solder your new capacitors.

Step 8: Install the board and test it out.

Washer control board (top) with arrows pointing to capacitors

washer before arrows.PNG

Access holes that I cut in the rear:

access holes 2.PNG

access holes 1.PNG

Picture of the control board with new capacitors installed

replaced caps.jpg

Attachments