Maytag MAV6000AWW Very Loud Noise when it spins

Lewis

Premium Member
Howdy all,
I have a very noisy washer when it spins. I have replaced the pulley with the kit that has the grease and other parts. My orginal complaint was it would not spin. So I gave the tub a spin with my hand and it began to spin and washed ok. But it was very loud when it spun. So I ordered the Pulley Kit thinking that was the problem. Now I have replaced the pulley. it still has a loud noise. Very loud and kinda grinding. I researched the forms and found where it could be a pump, so I tipped the machine back over, took belt off and spun the pump pulley. It makes no noise. Pump seems to be ok. I read where it maybe a Bearing assembly (lower) or a Spin bearing & housing kit. I don't think it is the pump so how do I determine if it is one of these bearings? If it is one of these bearings, can I replace it? Will I need special tools?

BTW, I learned a trick about replacing the pulley. That trick is to use the cam to push the brake mechanism up (turn the pulley counter clockwise) and block with a large screw driver while you replace the bottom washer and split ring in the grove on the shaft.

Back to my question, which bearing and how hard is it to replace these bearings? (With back off of washer it sounds like it is in tub).Will I need Special tools? Many thanks-Lewis
<INPUT language=javascript class=normal id=_ctl0__ctl0_cph1_ssc1_pdc_descBt title="Stick Out Tongue" style="VISIBILITY: hidden; WIDTH: 0px; HEIGHT: 0px" onclick="javascript:__doPostBack('_ctl0$_ctl0$cph1$ssc1$pdc$descBt','')" type=button alt="" src="images/smilies/tongue.gif" border=0 name="_ctl0:_ctl0:cph1:ssc1:pdc:descBt>

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi Lewis

It's the tub seal and bearing that needs to be replaced. If you don't have too much invested already, I would suggest looking into a replacement washer. Whirlpool and Kenmore are your best bets. If your set on repairing it, no special tools are required. This repair can become a major hedache or can go smooth. It depends on how long it's been making noise and how old the washer is. One problem you may run into is if you dont get the seal in right, it will leak after you get it back together and you'll have to start over. Clean the surface where the old brg and seal were with a wire brush. Good luck on whatever your decission is.

Rick

Lewis

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply-The washer is about 6 years old. It just started making the noise when it would not spin 4 days ago. Now that I have put pulley kit on I have about $40 invested so far.The model of machine is MAV6000AWW Sn 10520052wk . Machine does not show rust or water leak indications yet. But the old style thrust bearing was worn out and a little rusty. When I was putting pulley on I thought that could be noise problem I was hearing. But I think you are right, it sounds like up in tub. I really can't afford a new washer. And a used one maybe like the one I have. Anybody know what parts I will need?