• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag MBF2258DEH00 Warm fridge, ice in Freezer. Do I have a coolant leak?

DIYEngineer

Premium Member
Model Number
MBF2258DEH00
Brand
Maytag
Please Help!

I am trying to figure out what is going on here. This unit is less than 5 years old. Recently I noticed the refrigerator is warmish. I vacuumed out the intake, thought that fixed the problem, but it soon returned. Looking at the back, I see this green gook on the copper coolant line. Maytag warranty only covers the compressor, which seems to be running pretty warm/hot now. I can tell there is ice behind the wall in the freezer just by tapping it with my hand, but haven't tore the thing apart yet.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You have a sealed system problem. You have a 10 year warranty on the compressor(Part Only). You'd pay labor.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions.

The Maytag tech will need to determine which it is.

The compressor can run and not cool and the compressor can still be bad, meaning the compressor is running but its not pumping the Freon through the sealed system, due to a defect in it.

Contact Maytag at 1-800-344-1274 to set up a service call.

Jake

DIYEngineer

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thank you for the reply. I have thawed the ice ball and reassembled the unit because I really need a refrigerator over the next week. It is working fine now, but I know the issue will likely return.

I did see the compressor kick on once when I had the unit in "cooler off" mode, but it only ran for about 30 seconds.

Im hoping that the control board is faulty because it is an easy fix. You are clearly very experienced on this matter, how certain can you be that this is a sealed system issue? The compressor is only 4.5 years old but I see some gunk around the copper line portion that runs into the water pan.

Maytag said it would be 2 weeks before they can get someone out here, I'm just trying for some type of early resolution that I can do myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I've never seen a control board cause that problem in my 32 years doing 8-10 service calls a day.

Its definity a sealed system problem, normal frost pattern is a thin layer of frost on all the coils from top to bottom.

Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake

DIYEngineer

Premium Member
Sad that the sealed system failed after only 4 years. Reading Maytags warranty page, it sounds like they only specifically cover the compressor, not all of those corresponding sealed system components.

The worst thing for me would be to have someone come out here after waiting two weeks and it winds up costing $600 out of pocket.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What's the temperature in your freezer right now?

Is the evaporator fan motor running that mounts above the coils in the freezer?

Jake

DIYEngineer

Premium Member
What's the temperature in your freezer right now?

Is the evaporator fan motor running that mounts above the coils in the freezer?

Jake
Jake,

I appreciate you helping me out.

This is driving me nuts. The fridge was warm this morning. There was no airflow so I ran diagnostic test # 3, the evaporator fan did not turn on. I removed the cover and the fan blades were not stuck.

About an hour later I heard the fan engage and now the evaporator fan is running. So not sure why it is running now, but did not earlier when the temperature went into the 50's.

The freezer was around 10 degrees yesterday, now it is 20 but seems to be dropping again.

What can be causing this?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Was it just seized up? Put your evaporator cover back in place and see how it does with that evaporator fan running.

I had a Maytag do this on one of my local service calls, It was a bad evaporator fan motor, thus making the refrigerator section warm, but freezer was fine.

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model:
W11024089 Motor-Evap

Jake

DIYEngineer

Premium Member
So, just got home. Checked temp after not having any doors opened for 3 hours. The freezer is around 10 degrees, and the fridge is in the low 30's.

The evaporator cover has been on since last night, I only removed the fan cover a few times to check the fan. It seems like it is operating normal at the moment. I pointed my camera lens down towards the evaporator and snatched a picture. I can see light frost but no icing.

I guess I need to wait to observe failure to get my next clue. Yes there might be a small leak somewhere that might cut the life of this unit short, but it seem that I am dealing with an inconsistent fan operation. I would imagine the fan would either spin or it doesn't. The signal from the control board must be operating near the edge of the functional voltage range needed to activate the fan circuit(hope i said that right but you get what I mean)

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Frost pattern looks good, so I doubt you have a sealed system problem, I think its your evaporator fan NOT RUNNING is causing this problem.

Your first photo of your evaporator coil through me off because I only saw the ice ball at the top right of your evaporator coil, and the rest of the coils had no frost on them.

Jake

DIYEngineer

Premium Member
Merry Christmas, thanks again for taking the time out of your day to help.

Should I just try replacing the control board first, then move on to the fan, or attempt a continuity test during fan failure? I'm trying to avoid constantly emptying this out and disassembling- I don't have a backup fridge.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its very simple, when you see the freezer fan(evaporator fan) not turning, WHILE THE COMPRESSOR IS RUNNING, get your multimeter and volt test the two wires that connect to it, you should have 120 volts, if you have 120 volts to the evaporator fan motor and its not running then its bad.

Merry Christmas!

Jake

DIYEngineer

Premium Member
I tried to test the fan during the failure period but as soon as I got the back panel off the fan began to run! I'm tempted to leave the back panel off for quicker access. I checked for shorts but flexing the wiring did not short anything out. It does not appear to be any wiring issue.

The fan seems to work for half the day and fail for the other half. When times are good, I can go into diagnostic mode and turn the fan on/off with no problem but once the fridge hits its target temp it decides that it doesn't need to run the fan again for another 12 hours. Even when testing, nothing happens. I just have to wait for it to decide to work again.

This is a jackle/hyde thing. Half the time it is operating perfectly, the other times the fan just quits running. (cant force it to run). It's almost as if the freezer needs to begin to warm up for the fan to run.

Is there another dependency for this evap fan to run outside of the control board and fan motor health?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, just the control board.

I'd order and replace the evaporator fan motor then, like I mentioned this happened to me last summer on a local customer, it was intermittent and I replaced it and he's never called back again.:)

Jake

DIYEngineer

Premium Member
the wiring harness looks completely different on that replacement part. Are you sure that will work? The old fan was white with a two conductor connector.

DIYEngineer

Premium Member
Finally caught the fan in the act! Compressor running fan not. 123v. Reconnected the fan. A few minutes it began to spin. Disconnected and rechecked voltage. Now 125-126v. So it wont spin at 123 but spins at 125v. I guess I'll just replace the fan motor. Or maybe the voltage is too high and the fan randomly disables?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I double checked, that is the evaporator fan motor for your model, it comes with a wire adapter, it will work fine, this is the exact same one I replaced last summer for my local customer.

Glad you caught it in the act, that's the part you need.:)

Jake

DIYEngineer

Premium Member
Replacing the fan fixed the problem. The old fan had water trapped within the enclosure that I could hear when I shake it. Also, moisture has made its way into the freezer LED bulb. I've ordered a replacement bulb, as well as a new thermistor cover that I managed to snap off during the numerous rounds of troubleshooting.

Happy to have the fridge working again. Thanks for the guidance Jake.