FIXED Maytag MDB5601AWQ - drain motor hums but will not drain

mikkig77

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB5601AWQ
Brand
Maytag
My Maytag diswasher works fine except it will not drain at the end of the wash cycle. I tried the "rinse only" test and I can hear the drain motor hum but nothing happens. I tried the maual test and again the motor hums but doesn't drain. I ran the field test and the blinking lights indicate there is a Turbidity Sensor error. Are these two things related? What should I do?

mikkig77

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick response

How do I get to the drain pump? Do I have to pull the dishwassher out?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

mikkig77

Premium Member
I did remove the two panels underneath the door so I can see all the parts but since they are under the unit I'm not sure how I get to any of them. Is there a manual that gives me step by step instructions for cleaning and/or removing this pump? Sorry for being a bit challenged in this area. Can't afford a repairman right now.

jeff1

Staff member
Not that I am aware of, a copy....

1. Disconnect power to the machine.​
2. Remove Support and Toe Panel. (See paragraph FrontSupport and Toe Panel removal).3. Disconnect lead wire from Pump Assembly.4. Disconnect drain hose from Pump Assembly.5. Remove Torx™ screw through bushing in PumpMounting Plate.​
6. Rotate Pump Assembly to unlock from Tub.

Drain Pump​
The Drain Pump will drain water from the Dishwasher invarious cycles. If a failure is suspected, the entire Pump​
Assembly needs to be replaced.

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
A little bit older models on the manual but very similier :)
Same blurb I copied :)

jeff.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, keep us posted.:)

Jake

mikkig77

Premium Member
The dishwasher is fixed!

It was a bit of a chore put we did as you very clearly explained. We first disconnected the hose from the drain pump. Water flowed out so we knew the line was clear. We had to pull the diskwasher out to get to the drain pump but when we disconnected it and took ti apart, we discovered a small plastic object had made its way into the pump which had it jammed up. We removed the plactic piece, put everything back together and the dishwasher is working like a champ once again. THANK YOU!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Jake