• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag MDB7609AWS2 dishwasher not starting

ErikMaytag

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB7609AWS2
Brand
Maytag
Hi, I've been unable to start my Maytag dishwasher lately and would appreciate some help troubleshooting.
When clicking on the control panel the Hi temp wash, heated dry and sanitize buttons will light up. The Heavy, Normal or Light buttons will not light up when clicked.
I was able to run diagnostics by clicking "heated dry/sanitize/heated dry/sanitize/heated dry", but I was not able to get an error code. (As far as I know the error code should appear in the wash/dry/clean indicator, but those lights never blinked)
I read somewhere that I should start diagnostics by clicking normal/heated dry/normal[...], but that doesn't work for me. Is that a different diagnostics test, or is that button combination for a different model?
During the diagnostics run water was being poured into the machine, and drained. After the test all buttons lit up (including heavy/normal/light) and the control panel was locked. Lights turned off again about an hour later.

For some reason I thought the bi-thermal fuse could be the culprit, but I replaced it and no change.
I've reset the machine by turning off power for 10+ minutes a few times. Also tried running the kitchen faucet at max heat before starting the diagnostics.
When I opened the control panel to change the fuse all wires seemed to be in very good condition (no rust/corrosion/water/dust).

Would be very thankful if anyone could suggest next steps to figure out what's wrong.

PS: dishwasher came with the house when I bought it 2 years ago, so not sure exact age of the dishwasher.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
While the dishwasher is in standby mode, everything off and door closed, press the following keys within 6 seconds ; Heated Dry ➙ Normal ➙ Heated Dry ➙ Normal

The diagnostic cycle has 19 intervals and will take about 17 minutes to complete. The test cycle starts in interval 19 and ends on interval 1

If you entered the diagnostic correctly all the LEDs will come on as a display test and that is interval 19.

ErikMaytag

Premium Member
The heated dry / normal combination doesn't do anything for me no matter how many times I try it. Some sort of diagnostics start with the heated dry / sanitize combination but it takes nowhere near 17 minutes.

rickgburton

Staff member
Your tech sheet should be behind the lower panel in a plastic envelope or taped to the bottom of the tub. That will give you the correct steps.

ErikMaytag

Premium Member
Thank you guys for looking into this!
The tech sheet says to use the Heated dry - Normal - Heated dry - Normal combination, but when I do that absolutely nothing happens. I'm not sure if failure to run diagnostics is a form of diagnostics in itself.
The heated dry button lights up when I click it, the Normal does not. (Normal does however light up after I run the heated dry / sanitize program, so there seems to be some sort of connection to the button)

ErikMaytag

Premium Member
After looking at Bigbuck's second link I took the dishwasher apart again to look at the ribbon tail. While I can't see any obvious issues with it, it is a bit lighter colored at the point where it bends. Could that be an issue?
Closeup from front, the four strands that are a brighter color is just where the cable rests against the plastic when the casing is fully in place.
20180823_114435.jpg
20180823_114317.jpg
20180823_114208.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
Do this:
Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
Open the dishwasher door.
Open console and disconnect the keypad ribbon connection from the control (at P1).
Make sure all other connections are made. Put console back together.
Do not close the dishwasher door.
Plug in dishwasher or reconnect power.
Wait 5 seconds.
Close dishwasher door.
Monitor the control’s response.
➔If the control is OK (no longer sees shorts with the keypad unplugged), it will respond by turning on the drain motor for 2 minutes. Check and/or replace the keypad if the control responds OK.
➔If the control is not OK (still sees shorts with the keypad unplugged), then the drain motor will NOT respond. If drain motor does not start within 10 seconds, repeat or verify that all steps were followed, and then replace the control.

ErikMaytag

Premium Member
Followed those steps. Drain motor ran for about 1m50s, did not sound like water was pumping though. This would indicate that my keypad is broken and needs to be replaced?
Would that be the part listed as "Touchpad and Control Panel"? I can't see an option for "Keypad" anywhere.

ErikMaytag

Premium Member
I guess that means the flexible cable isn't the culprit, but the keypad itself.
Thank you so much for your assistance.

rickgburton

Staff member
Even if it was the ribbon cable it only comes with the console/keypad. I haven't seen a bad keytail on a dishwasher before.