• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag MDB7749AWM1 Unresponsive - Lights Will Not Illuminate

john365

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB7749AWM1
Brand
Maytag
Hi - I have a Maytag dishwasher that became unresponsive. When I attempted to start a cycle none of the buttons were responsive and the lights would not illuminate.

Circuit breaker was cycled with no improvements. The main power connection from the house was tested and is delivering 120V and the connections to the dishwasher were checked.

I disconnected the ribbon cable at P1, reassembled and closed the door and the drain failed to run. Both the door switch and thermal fuse have been tested for continuity using a multimeter and passed.

Any suggestions on further troubleshooting to fix this dishwasher?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
1. Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
2. Open the dishwasher door.
3. Open console and disconnect the keypad ribbon connection from the control (at P1). Make sure all other connections are made.
4. Put console back together. Do not close the dishwasher door.
5. Plug in dishwasher or reconnect power.
6. Wait 5 sec.
7. Close dishwasher door.
8. Monitor the control’s response:
--->If the control is OK (no longer sees shorts with the keypad unplugged), it will respond by turning on the Drain Motor for 2 minutes. Check and/or replace the keypad if the control responds OK.
--->If the control is not OK (still sees shorts with the keypad unplugged), then the drain motor will NOT if the drain motor does not start within 10 sec, repeat or verify that all the steps were followed, then replace the control board.

I'd order a new control board:
W11202746 Electronic Control Board

Jake

john365

Premium Member
Drain motor ran after completing these steps. After reconnecting the keypad and turning the breaker on the steam clean light is illuminated when the door is open. With the door closed the light goes out and the drain motor runs. Opening the door again the motor shuts off and the steam clean light reilluminates. All control buttons are unresponsive with door both open and closed.

Do you recommend replacing the keypad? Thanks for the help Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, if the drain motor did run, then the problem is the control panel keypad assembly.

➔If the control board is OK (no longer sees shorts with the keypad unplugged), it will respond by turning on the drain motor for 2 minutes. Replace the keypad if the control board responds OK.

Here's the control panel keypad assembly for your model:
W10811151 Control Panel

Let us know how it goes.

john365

Premium Member
I replaced the control panel keypad assembly and the dishwasher is now working great! Thank you so much for the help troubleshooting this Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent John, glad to hear the new control panel keypad assembly fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.