• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag MDE9700AYW intermittent start no start

so2315

Model Number
MDE9700AYW
Brand
Maytag
I have the Maytag Neptune electric dryer, and this last weekend the machine would power on, but fail to start. Control board works just fine, knob rotates and registers just fine. Entered diagnostic mode and got the error code 10 which is moisture sensor. Tried manually starting on time dry with no luck. I got the service manual and took apart the front of the machine. Door Switch tested fine, pulled out heating element and the three sensors all tested fine. Vacuumed out all of the lint and put it back together thinking it is the control board and then tried it again and it worked fine. Continued to work fine for 2 more days, then last night it failed to start again.

I did not check the thermistor by the blower, and was set to go buy a new Speed Queen but thought I should try starting it again this morning. Guess what, it started and ran just fine. So where do I go from here? Obviously the motor is just fine, the door switch and three sensors on heating element are fine. All the buttons on the control board seem to work just fine and respond to the touch. Could the thermistor by the blower cause a intermittent no start?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

No, the thermistor would not cause it not to start.

Intermittent problems are the hardest to nail down, until it doesn't start at all.

Here's another one that did the same thing as yours:
Unfortunately, they didn't come back to update us.

That control board has been on back-order for about a year, so if it is a control board problem you may be waiting a long time to get one.

Jake