Maytag MDG5500 slow to dry

dxg

Premium Member
Model Number
MDG5500
Brand
Maytag
Dryer used to take 50-some minutes to dry a normal load at the max drying temp ("normal"). Now it says 84 minutes before it starts and it's pretty accurate. that's how long it actually takes. I thought it was the gas valve coils so I replaced them, but no improvement. The burner cycles on and off, don't know if it does correctly. It does get warm/hot inside, I don't know if it's the correct temp or not. No exhaust obstruction or anything else abnormal that I can tell. Any suggestions?

Oh, and just wondering. How does it know before it starts how long it's going to take? Does it just start with a standard preset number and then adjusts as it senses moisture inside? Seems awfully accurate for an initial guess.

Edit: sorry, the age is incorrect. Can't edit that. It's probably 10 years old.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So you have good air flow coming out the exhaust vent to the outside of your house? I always check for lint blockage there first.

Clean your moisture sensor bars with rubbing alcohol, and see if that makes a difference.

Also try TIMED DRY and see if a normal load comes out dry within 60 to 70 minutes.

How does it know before it starts how long it's going to take? Does it just start with a standard preset number and then adjusts as it senses moisture inside?
I don't know, but what you said does sound logical to me.:)

Jake

dxg

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Yes I have good airflow at the exhaust vent. I did clean the sensor, in fact I took it out and cleaned the contacts on the back as well.
And yes, a time dry takes just as long. I suspect the drying temperature is not as high as it should. But I have no proof.

So my next suspect is the temp control thermistor. Do you know where it is located and what resistance it should have at room temperature? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes,

You will need a thermometer to take its temperature.:)

This Multimeter reads temperature, it comes with a probe you put in the dryer door. Just open the dryer door and insert the probe, then close the door and run the dryer(WITHOUT CLOTHES IN IT) and watch the meter. Don't put the probe to far in or it will be hitting the drum as it turns.

The cycling thermostat is mounted by the vent hose connection. With the dryer on timed dry, high heat, the temperature at the dryer vent should be 170*F to 190*F. Watch the thermometer or multimeter display and note the temperature the element turns off and the temperature it turns back on through about 6-8 cycles. They should be fairly consistent.

Here's the cycling thermostat for your model:
Cycling Thermostat WP694674

There is a HOW TO video in the part link.:)

Let us know what the temperatures read.

Jake

dxg

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Great info.

As of today the dryer decided to go back to working normally on its own, so apparently something is intermittent. I'll grab one of those thermocouple multimeters and should be able to figure it out from there. I greatly appreciate your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.:)

Jake