• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag MED3500FW0 Dryer - Won't Start

chadd

Premium Member
Model Number
MED3500FW0
Brand
Maytag
Hello:
This forum has saved me many times and I'm hoping it can help me one more with an issue I'm having with my dryer. When we tried to run it today, it simply wouldn't start. When we hit the 'run' button, it would just give this little clicking noise but it would never start. We unplugged in for awhile and when we plugged it back in, it gave a 'PF' error. We took this video to show the problem. Any ideas?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
PF is power failure when you unplugged the dryer. Check the door switch and thermal fuse for continuity. The “crackling” sound makes me think there’s a burned wire or connection where ever it’s coming from.

chadd

Premium Member
Hello Rick and @Jake
Thanks for responding! So I checked the thermal fuse and I have continuity. Seems like that is fine. I was about to check the door switch; however, before I took off the front to test it I did have two observations:
1. When I you click the START button to run a cycle (as seen in that first video I posted), I noticed that the timer actually ticks down. For instance, it started at 1:18 and as I was looking around, I noticed it dropped to 1:17. Then a minute later, 1:16 etc.
2. Also, with the top of the dryer off, I think I've pin-pointed where the sound is coming from:

The clicking is, definitely, coming from this board. Should I continue with dismantling in order to test the door switch?

chadd

Premium Member
Hello:
I went ahead and continued with the dismantling. Here are a few things I tried:
-tested the thermal fuse and I get the continuity sound (see pic...my dog hates the sound)
-tested the thermistor and I'm not getting any reading on this which is surprising. Watching some videos, this should give me a reading or maybe I have my multimeter set wrong. It mentioned setting it to 20k Ohms. (see pic)
-any idea how I test this particular door switch?
-I've included a screenshot of the inside
-I took the control board out to look at the back-side to see if there was any burning, etc. It was nice and clean.

Reference pics:

Attachments

• IMG_9458.jpg
    IMG_9458.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9455.jpg
    IMG_9455.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9459.jpg
    IMG_9459.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9453.jpg
    IMG_9453.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9452.jpg
    IMG_9452.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 37

chadd

Premium Member
Sorry for spamming but I wanted to provide a bit more information. I was doing a bit more trouble-shooting and I noticed I didn't originally test this part (see pic). I did a continuity test on this particular part and I did not get a reading. Also, I wanted to add that I do get continuity across that thermistor that I tested and posted about earlier (but 0 when I tested at 20k ohm).

Attachments

• IMG-9460.jpg
    IMG-9460.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 38

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I noticed I didn't originally test this part (see pic). I did a continuity test on this particular part and I did not get a reading.
That's your thermal fuse you circled in purple, if you got no ohm reading on that, then that's the bad part.

Make sure you set your meter on the lowest ohm setting when you ohm test any thermal fuse.:)

Here's the thermal fuse for your model you can order: Thermal Fuse W10909685

Make sure your exhaust pipe going to your outside of the house is clean and clear, also check where it vents to the outside for lint build-up. That's the number 1 reason the thermal fuse blows.:)

Jake

chadd

Premium Member
Hello Jake!
Thanks for the response! I'm at work right now and I can't test it again until later; however, I did a continuity test (resistence with tone) with my multimeter on the thermal fuse last night and it did NOT have continuity (i.e. no tone). Sounds like this is, definitely, the bad part.

I have one of those vent cleaning tools (i.e. you keep screwing on longer attachments to a brush and attach to your screw driver) but I haven't cleaned the vent line in, probably, 4 years. I'll let you and rick know how he repair goes. Thanks again.

Last edited:

chadd

Premium Member
@Jake and @rickgburton :
I received the part and, exactly as you said, it resolved my dryer issue. I cannot thank you enough for helping me fix my dryer. Taking a look at new dryer prices about gave me a heart-attack so I feel fortunate that I was able to fix mine. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @chadd glad to hear the new thermal fuse fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake