• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag MED5500FW2 Dryer shuts off after a few minutes on the normal cycle

Carpediem410

Premium Member
Model Number
MED5500FW2
Brand
Maytag
It is an electric dryer about 2 years old.

If I put laundry in on the normal cycle, it starts with 38 minutes on the timer, then shuts off after a few minutes. The laundry is still wet.

I tried the timed dry cycle - it runs for the allotted time and heats and the laundry is then dry.

The control panel says good air flow. The lint screen is clean. The vent outside is not blocked and is working fine.

The moisture sensors appear to be clean and I have never used dryer sheets.

Before I try taking the machine apart to check the connections on/replace the moisture sensors, could it be anything else?

Should I try running any other loads to narrow down the issue?

It is a dryer that steams although I haven’t used the feature for a long time.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I always advise my customers to try to clean the moisture sensor bars with rubbing alcohol and see if that fixes it in AUTO-DRY.

Lots of members here have said the rubbing alcohol cleaning fixed their dryers.

If cleaning the moisture sensor bars with rubbing alcohol does not fix it, then I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below, Look on page 6 and Do--->Activation with Saved Fault Codes

If there is a saved fault code, it will be flashing in the display. Review the Fault/Error Codes table on page 9 for the recommended procedure. If there is no saved fault code, “888” or “88” will be displayed.
NOTE: Entering into Loads Test mode may automatically reset some codes that may have been set, and that information could be erased. Before activating the Loads Test mode, be sure to check for Saved Fault Codes using the Service Diagnostics mode; see procedure on page 4.

Jake

Attachments

• TechSheet-W10806850-RevA.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 48

Carpediem410

Premium Member
I was sure I didn’t need to clean the moisture sensors because I never use dryer sheets.

I cleaned the moisture sensors with alcohol anyway before going any further.

I ran a load of laundry as a test.

And the dryer worked fine on the normal (sensor) cycle!

I ran two more loads of laundry JUST TO BE SURE.

I am now declaring victory.

The dryer is fixed and running properly.

THANK YOU

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, yes even if you don't use dryer sheets the moisture sensors can still get gunked up somehow.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake