• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag MFF2055YEM00 Bottom freezer Ices up around fan/back wall repeatedly.

MartinN

Premium Member
Model Number
MFF2055YEM00
Brand
Maytag
FREEZER FROSTS UP.....Bottom of freezer seems to drip water, which then freezes up, also on freezer back wall, so Fan gets Very loud, obstructed with Heavy frost, despite tinkering with temp. settings, so we thaw it out/ remove all ice, subsides for awhile then starts making noise again/icy build up. (tried spraying hot H20 into back wall fan, as per local Maytag Repair mans' suggestion - We also Lowered the "factory recommended fridge settings- from 3 dots for Freezer, 3 dots for Fridge, down to 1 dot for Freezer, 2 for Fridge.....We noticed when it's Humid here, it get worse Very quickly....even with "Moisture control" activated....very frustrating to have a 4 yr. old Refrig. that has all plastic Junky parts (fan cover in freezer, etc.)....Now Freezer won't freeze up our Popsicles, and even the Refrig. isn't very cold. (freezer Fan blade freely turns when we hand turn it after cover was removed). No clicking or weird noises....any Suggestions to Self Repair it? (we have an OM reader).

MartinN

Premium Member
Martin again- Thought I should Follow up & Mention that after 3 hours on "Speed set" cold....the refrig. temp stays at 70 degrees! (Yikes!) :0, and freezer stays at 40 degrees. I can hear the freezer fan (I emptied out all of the food from bottom Freezer).....so seems the Refrig top portion will Not get Cold again- Very Frustrating.....any ideas what's broken?? (thankfully we have a garage back up freezer, I transferred freezer /perishable food into temporarily).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

If the evaporator coil has heavy frost build-up on it, then you have a auto-defrost part that has gone bad, which that frost will interfere with your evaporator fan motor and cause this problem.

Yes, you'll need to remove the ice maker and shelves. There's four screws that hold the cover on. Check the element for continuity. Measure the resistance of the thermistor on the evaporator. If the element and sensor check good, the main control board has failed. Use a hair dryer to completely defrost the coils. Install the back cover and everything will work normally until you can repair it. Longer than a week you'll need to defrost it again.

I'd ohm test the freezer evaporator thermistor first, WHILE ITS FROSTY, you should read 8.7K ohms. Unplug the refrigerator first before ohm testing.

Here's the freezer evaporator thermistor for your model:
WPW10383615 Thermistor

Let us know what you find.

Jake

MartinN

Premium Member

Thanks for reply Jake,

Well, it's the next morning, and Freezer has remained at 40 degrees, with no frost up (back fan cover: grey plastic I didn't put it back on yet). Refrig. (after overnite), is still warm, so Refrig. basically doesn't work- only freezer stays at 40 degrees). Freezer fan inside freezer I can hear it, but otherwise the Refrig. is Really quiet. BTW: I do not have the Ice maker hooked up, or on. Will check what you suggest, I do have an OM reader. REALLY Hoping I dont have a broken Refrig. and have to buy a new one, this one is only 4 years old. Thanks.

MartinN

Premium Member
FIXED ISSUE: Local Appliance Repair guy came this am., Fixed it without having to replace any parts (Yay!!). JAKE: Thank you for your Reply- Wanted to let your know: REpair Guy said "IF THE FREEZER GREY FAN COVER is Off- The Refrig will NEVER Get Cold (or back to normal temperature: - I learned: IF THE FREEZER FAN COVER IS TAKEN OFF- Put it Back on (we kept it off all night, as stated in earlier post- BIG LESSON FOR ME. -So.....The CAUSE of the never-ending Freezer frosting up, and ice at bottom of freezer was due to CLOGGED DRAIN HOLE (he made 2 small slits to open up opening a little larger)- freezer bottom drain hole was clogged with food particles, and because I had sprayed Hot water onto back wall and where fan blade in freezer was, it got rid of the visible Frost & "snow", BUT: Inside and behind all that "fluffy snowy frost" had turned to solid Ice: The Repair guy said "the only was to Truly and Completely Thaw out your Refrig. and Freezer is to turn it off, (transfer all your food to another refrig, of course), and WAIT 2 DAYS...anything shorter than that time period and it won't be 100% Defrosted"......so we were causing a perpetual cycle of problems. TIP: ANY Humid weather, make sure you CLOSE your bottom freezer all the way, if you hear any ice or crunch sound: open and slam close Bottom Freezer door THREE Times (this removes any accumulated ice from side track sliders). ALSO: Don't leave Freezer open for more than 90 seconds, or it can cause problems. (These Maytags are Very tempermental to humidity. -Wipe off any condensation off jars/cans, etc. if you're placing groceries into fridge. BTW: The Recommended Left hand Control Button Best Setting (freezer) is 1 dot, and right hand (Refrig.) is 2-3 dots Max. -Hope this info. helps someone out there......Well worth the $160. total Service Bill to know how to best use and treat our Maytag. (afterall, it's only 4 years old).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Martin,

Lots of people like to leave that back panel off to monitor the evaporator coil, but that will cause this issue of not DEFROSTING properly and not COOLING properly.

Glad to hear that was all it was.

Jake