Maytag MFF2558VEM3 - Where's the defrost timer located?

cinnamontography

Premium Member
Model Number
MFF2558VEM3
Brand
Maytag
Can anyone help me out here? Where do I find the defrost timer so I can test it? Any help is much appreciated.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

MFF2558VEM
I found MFF2558VEM1 MFF2558VEM2 MFF2558VEM3 MFF2558VEM4 MFF2558VEM5 MFF2558VEM6 MFF2558VEM9 MFF2558VEM10

Where is my Model Number? | Appliance Aid Some model# helps.

This unit probably doesn't have a timer but an electronic board...but we may learn some more once we have the full model#.

jeff.

rickgburton

Staff member
Your machine doesn't use a defrost timer. The defrost cycle is controlled by the main control board. Are you getting frost build on the evaporator?

cinnamontography

Premium Member
I found MFF2558VEM1 MFF2558VEM2 MFF2558VEM3 MFF2558VEM4 MFF2558VEM5 MFF2558VEM6 MFF2558VEM9 MFF2558VEM10

Where is my Model Number? | Appliance Aid Some model# helps.
It is the MFF2558VEM3, thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will let me amend the original post at this point.

Are you getting frost build on the evaporator?
Yes, frost build up on the evaporator, when this happens, the fridge becomes warm. Doing a forced defrost a couple times seems to work to remove the ice build up and as a result the fridge becomes cold again. Back in February, I discovered the ice build up for the first time and there was a pretty substantial amount of it, so I used a heat gun to remove it all quickly. The fridge continued to stay cold for about 4-5 months until a couple days after I came back from vacation in July and discovered the temperature was above 40F and climbing. I didn't unplug the fridge/freezer unit when I was on vacation and there were no power outages in the area during that time.

I checked the defrost thermostat's continuity and it is fine - continuity when it's below 20ºF, 55.5k ohms when it's above 20ºF. I even compared this to a new defrost thermostat replacement part and they both gave identical readings under the same conditions.

Here's a picture inside the freezer behind the back panel from back in February before I melted all the frost/ice away:
frost.jpg
There was nowhere near as much frost build up the 2nd and 3rd time this happened (July) but the Fridge was still well above 40ºF.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member

cinnamontography

Premium Member
Yeah...I was hoping it wasn't the main control board...heh...guess I'll have to bite the bullet. It looks like a relatively simple single sided through hole board, I'm guessing something went bad with the 28-pin chip on there?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
Sorry for the bad news. Only three parts in almost all defrost systems, heater, thermostat, and main control board or defrost timer. If the heater turned on in forced defrost, the heater and thermostat are working correctly. That just leaves the control as the failed part. I have no idea what fails on the boards. As long as the heater and thermostat are good, no further testing necessary. Replace the board and you're good to go. New boards need to be programed first.

cinnamontography

Premium Member
Sorry for the bad news. Only three parts in almost all defrost systems, heater, thermostat, and main control board or defrost timer. If the heater turned on in forced defrost, the heater and thermostat are working correctly. That just leaves the control as the failed part. I have no idea what fails on the boards. As long as the heater and thermostat are good, no further testing necessary. Replace the board and you're good to go. New boards need to be programed first.
Thanks Rick, I'll replace the board, program it and post again if there's any further issue.

All fixed up for the model#.

jeff.
Thanks for fixing that, Jeff.

Chris Miner

Premium Member
My freezer looks just like this. I was having trouble getting the back off, so I cut the wires to the icemaker which I plan on never ever using anyway. It looked like I could just connect the 2 white wires leading to the heater coil and be on my way but that hasn't happened. It won't force defrost(was defrosting fine before I began this clear the ice, copper wire mission.) To icemaker is 2 white, green/yellow, purple/white, and brown. Getting more humid 'round here and freezer is fading fast, oh and it won't shut off now. I humbly beg for any assistance.

rickgburton

Staff member
Hi Chris, this thread is 4 years old and I doubt you have the exact same model number so start a new thread. Don't forget your model number. What is it exactly you're trying to do? I don't know what two wires you're referring to.

Chris Miner

Premium Member
I tried to take a picture of mine but it wasn't as good and like I said it looks exactly the same. Thanks for the help!