• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag MFI2568AES - Ice/water won't dispense, not fully cooling

HDClown

Model Number
MFI2568AES
Brand
Maytag
Note: Listed model # wrong in the post requirements, it's MFI2568AES (correct in post subject)

Last night I went to get ice/water and it would not activate. I also noticed the LED in the ice/water dispenser seemed dimmer than usual. I flipped my breaker off for a few minutes and back on and was immediately able to get ice and water.

A couple hours later, could not get ice/water again. Flipped the breaker off and on again after a few minutes but still could not get ice/water, and ice/water LED was dim. Then I realized I had not heard normal fridge noises for the past couple of hours. Temp alarm was off and didn't check any temps as It was late and didn't feel like messing with it, so I left it until morning.

This morning I heard the unit making noises. Turned on temp alarm and it beeped, and flashed between 0/38 set temps and 0/61 reading temps. I checked with thermometer and fridge read 52, freezer 12.

I went into service mode and ran through all the checks, the bits that you can cycle ON/OFF all sounded like they turned ON/OFF fine, including compressor/condenser fan, cube and water dispenser, external ice chute door. Door tests all respond as expected. However, the voltages displayed for Freezer Fan and Ice Compartment Fan read low, where the readings I get are 0, mid 4's and 7.8-8.2 for both fans which doesn't match the service manual listing of 0, 7.75-8.25, 11.0-14.0.

When out of service mode, I am hearing "whining" type noises but not the noise associated with compressor/condenser fan as I can tell what that is based on the service mode test of that fan. The noise it's making now doesn't sound like a noise I heard doing service mode tests, but certainly a noise it has always made at times. The ice/water will still not dispense and the ice/water LED is dim. All of the display lights are at full brightness, as well as the interior fridge/freezer lights.

For reference, this unit is 16 years old and I did a self-repair on the HV board at about 6 1/2 years old due to the control panel flashing/blinking constantly. That repair was to replace the larger capacitors on the HV board, and it has ran without issue up until now. I haven not looked at the HV board yet to see if there are any obvious signs of bulging caps or other issues. I did look at the LV board and nothing obvious looks bad on that board.

After reading other posts, it seems like the HV board is probably causing my current issues, does that sound right? Anything I can do to pinpoint the root cause?

If it is the HV board, my serial # starts with 10, so is W10890094 / AP6027422 the correct board?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
After reading other posts, it seems like the HV board is probably causing my current issues, does that sound right? Anything I can do to pinpoint the root cause?
Yes, that make sense to me.

However, the voltages displayed for Freezer Fan and Ice Compartment Fan read low, where the readings I get are 0, mid 4's and 7.8-8.2 for both fans which doesn't match the service manual listing of 0, 7.75-8.25, 11.0-14.0.
Then, its a bad board, cut and dry.

If it is the HV board, my serial # starts with 10, so is W10890094 / AP6027422 the correct board?
Yes, that is correct:
Control Board W10890094

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.