• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag MFI2665XEM8 right hand door won't stay closed

jhg

Premium Member
Model Number
MFI2665XEM8
Brand
Maytag
This model is a french door freezer-below model. The left door has a rotating post called a "Rail-Mulln" (sic) in the parts diagram that makes the seal between the two doors.

refrig01.png

When you close the left door this post engages with some slots on the refrigerator body and swings into place. If the right door is already closed, this action causes the right door to pop slightly ajar, and if you don't make a special effort to then push the right door closed it stays ajar. This is new behavior starting a few weeks ago.

Another anomaly is that, with the left door open, if you open and close the right door there doesn't seem to be anything holding the right door closed. With the left door already closed, when you close the right door there's a feeling that the right door is magnetically pulled closed, presumably by something in the center post.

In the parts diagram there is a part labeled "Door Closer", which looks like a small plastic piece on the lower hinge of each door.

refrig02.png

Is this where the problem is? Is that part more complex than it looks, possibly with a coil spring to apply closing force?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, its possibly the door closer is broken, or the door bushing is broken. Watch the video in the part link first, because if the door closer isn't worn out, then that door bushing is and you'd need a whole new door, and that door is expensive.

Here's the door closure for your model:
Closing Mechanism WP12028505AP

Video included in part link.

Here's the whole door for your model:

Jake

jhg

Premium Member
I finally got around to taking the door off and examining the closing mechanism. It does not look to me like the parts are damaged, I've attached some pictures.

Question: Is there supposed to be any magnetic pull on the closed right hand door when the left door is open? The right-hand door on my refrigerator does not stay completely closed when the left hand door is open, and it feels like some sort of magnetic closure is missing. What is actually supposed to be happening in that situation?

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the door closer looks good.

I know that all door gaskets have a magnet in them, but I don't know about any other magnets that keeps the door closed.

That middle vertical Rail-Mulln(hinged seal) is attached to the refrigerator left door, when the left side door is opened that vertical hinged seal automatically folds inward, so it is out of the way.

When both doors are closed the vertical hinged seal automatically forms a seal between the two doors.

So it seems like the problem is in that vertical hinged seal:

Jake

jhg

Premium Member
When both doors are closed the vertical hinged seal automatically forms a seal between the two doors.
So it seems like the problem is in that vertical hinged seal:
I'm not sure. If you have the left door open, the rail is completely out of the way. If you then (with the left door open) close the right door, it does not stay completely closed. It feels like there is no magnetic force holding it closed.

Here's a question: The closer post goes into a socket in the bottom of the door. Is it possible to remove the plastic socket (first two pictures above) and rotate it slightly so it closes the door more firmly? It occurs to me that if that socket can rotate, then if one were to accidentally open the right door too far it might shift slightly such that the "fully closed" position was now not-quite-closed. Can the socket be removed and reinserted in a slightly rotated position?

In fact, I can remember one instance a couple of months ago when I opened the right door and allowed it to bang against the open stop by accident. If that socket can rotate, that may have caused the problem as it coincides approximately with the start of this problem occurring.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, It would help me see what's going on if you used your iphone or android and take a video of this problem you are having and upload it here in .mp4 format.

Jake

jhg

Premium Member
Here is a video. With the left door open the right won't stay closed, and when you then close the left door the right door stays ajar.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

That looks normal to me, because the right side door can not close tightly without first closing the left door with the vertical hinged seal in position for it to close tightly.

Jake