• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag MFX2876DRM00 Wont make ice

Woodbender

Premium Member
Model Number
MFX2876DRM00
Brand
Maytag
This is the 2 drawer bottom freezer French door model and the Ice maker won’t do it’s only job.

The dispenser will dispense water.
I pulled the storage bin out yesterday morning and it was frozen to the door. I didn’t think much of it as we had people over for thanksgiving and lots of fridge and freezer action for the long weekend. But, then no ice making was happening. There were some small frozen drips off the bottom of the ice maker unit so I thought maybe something was frozen solid.

Pulled it all apart thanks to the photos on this site by one of the mods. (Thanks, very helpful!) everything looked clear. No blockages or frozen bits where I didn’t think there should be frozen bits. There was no water or ice in the ice maker tray.

The filter is fairly new but not brand new. The display said it had 83% left.

Maybe the valve is bad? Seems like I should be able to replace parts but know what parts to replace is the difficulty right now and I’d rather not buy a bunch of parts that aren’t needed.

Any help is appreciated.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Maybe the valve is bad? .
Sounds like it. Since there wasn't any ice in the ice tray, it completed a harvest cycle but didn't fill. The best way to check it is to connect a DMM to the IM solenoid on the water valve. Press the test button on the IM to start a harvest cycle. At the end of the harvest cycle is the fill cycle. Check for 110 VAC. If the voltage is correct, replace the water valve. If the voltage is incorrect or 0 VAC, replace the ice maker. Look on your tech sheet for the steps to enter service test mode and run the ice maker and water valve tests.

WPW10764668 Ice Maker Assy-Lp
whirlpool-icemaker-wpw10764668-ap6024044_01_m.jpg

WPW10341329 Valve Assy-Water Dual
whirlpool-valve-assy-water-wpw10341329-ap6019940_01_m.jpg

Woodbender

Premium Member
Rick,

Thanks for the quick response. I’m not a service tech so some of the terminology you used for testing is lost on me.

Given what I described would you bet on the valve being the issue? For the relatively low price of the valve I’m not opposed to buying the valve and seeing if it works.

But, I do have a multimeter and suppose I could test some things if I knew what to test.

Thanks - Mike

rickgburton

Staff member
It's either the water valve or ice maker causing the problem. There's a small possibility it could be the main control board. Set your meter to measure VAC and connect the test leads to the two wire connector on the red solenoid thats on the water valve. Go in through the back of the connector and leave the connector on the solenoid. Then try this (Use this diagram for the switch numbers):
R-displayswitch numbers.jpg

To ENTER SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS MODE:
Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds.

Release both buttons when you hear the CHIME indicator.

Unit must not be in Lockout prior to entering SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE.

The display will show 01 to indicate the control is in step 1 of the diagnostics routine.

To EXIT SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS MODE:
Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds, disconnect the product from power or wait 20 minutes.

Following the exit of the diagnostic mode, the controls will then resume normal operation.

Each step must be manually advanced.

Press SW5 to move to the next step in the sequence.

Press SW4 to back up in the sequence to the previous step.

Each step is displayed in the two digits of the dispenser user interface display.

The step results are displayed in the two digits on dispenser user interface display 2 seconds after the step number is displayed.

An amber order filter light will be shown to designate that the step number is being displayed

A red replace filter light will be shown to designate that the status of the step is being displayed

Run service test 57 first

Service Test - 57 Ice Maker Harvest
• Press SW3 to activate a Harvest sequence. Digit 1 displays the state of the sequence. Digit 2 displays the outcome of the sequence. Once initiated, the sequence cannot be exited.

Digit 1
0 = Heater and Motor OFF,
1 = IM Heater ON,
2 = Motor Rotating CW until it finds home position

Digit 2
0 = In Progress,
1 = Harvesting Completed,
2 = Harvesting Not Completed, Doors must be closed.
NOTE: Harvesting Not Completed does not exit the step, but indicates the timeout of 70 seconds has passed.

After Test 57 is completed run test 45:

Service Test - 45 Ice Maker Water Fill Test
• After an initial 3 second delay, displays the Ice Maker water fill state on the UI display. Press SW3 to start a water fill.
Pressing SW3 will toggle between ON and PAUSE. (02 = Off, 03 = On, 04 = Paused)

Woodbender

Premium Member
Rick - Well, I don’t know what happened but it is now making ice. I took it apart Sunday evening and my kids were home on a snow day today and my oldest texted me and said there was ice. I got home from work and sure enough there was plenty of ice.

Maybe a line was frozen and turning it off for the half hour it took to pull it apart thawed the line?

Mike

rickgburton

Staff member
Awesome! If it happens again, replace the water valve. A small amount of water is probably getting past the valve when it's not energized then freezing in the end of the fill tube.

Woodbender

Premium Member
Well, it made ice for a few weeks then stopped. So I ordered up the valve in the link above and it came the next day! I swapped out the parts and waited. A week or so with no new ice. Then it spit out one batch of ice which melted in the ice bin. Then no ice for a few days. Then it made half a dozen batches of ice last night. Then no new ice and the ice in the ice bin is melting again.

Any ideas? I don’t know,why the ice is melting in the bin.

Thx - Mike

rickgburton

Staff member
Hi Mike. I think the problem is going to be whatever is causing the ice in the bucket to melt. It sounds like the temperature gets too warm for the ice maker to start a harvest cycle and the ice in the bucket to melt. Once that problem is solved the ice maker will most likely work OK.

I'll see if I can find the tech sheet for that model. Look for the tech sheet taped to the bottom of the machine on the right side behind the lower kick plate. If you find it run the service diagnostics for the fan motors and thermistors. If you need help post the tech sheet here.