FIXED Maytag MGDB835DW4 Gas Dryer - No heating

tampaite

Premium Member
Model Number
MGDB835DW4
Brand
Maytag
Maytag Bravos XL Gas Dryer (MGDB835DW4 ) - is about 15 months old.

Spouse was complaining about "check vent" indicator for a good 2 weeks, I got lazy and didn't pay attention and boom, the dryer doesn't heat. It starts up, the drum rotates and everything is normal except no heat.

I tried different cycles, timed dry - setting temperature to HIGH and dry level to MORE but dryer just goes thro' the motions and completes the cycle but no heat

I opened the back panel and cleaned out the lint in the exhaust vent(found 2 small socks), removed the front panel and cleaned out as well. Checked the vent going up the wall and that's clean.

Should I use a leaf blower to blow air and remove any lint/dust and then vaccum them to ensure that it's really clean?

I followed the service manual and ran test diagnostics and am getting fault code "F4E3" - Restricted Airflow. This might have been the last code in memory when the fault occured. Checked lint screen and exhaust duct - nothing obstructing. it says check exhaust fan - where is this located?

Trying to narrow down to which component is defective:

1. Would it be the thermal fuse?
  2. Ignitor?
  3. Solenoid?
  4. Still not feeling the air blowing out of the back vent - maybe the blower motor?

I haven't gotten around to testing each component with an ohm meter but did notice that there was no flame when the front panel was opened and dryer was running.

Last edited:

tampaite

Premium Member
Tested thermal fuse and it shows continuity
Tested thermistor in the 60k Ohms range and it shows between 9.77 to 10.25 range reading when it's at room temperature.
Tested the gas solenoid and all seem OK.

reading.JPG

Last edited:

tampaite

Premium Member
Disassembled.JPG

Attached photo of disassembled gas dryer without the drum.

Next am going to test the igniter and high limit thermostat

Last edited:

tampaite

Premium Member
Disassembled - 1.JPG

Both Igniter ( 1) and High Limit Thermostat ( 2) and Flame Sensor ( 3) showed continuity.

Finally, the Thermal cut-off (4) did not show any continuity - is this the culprit?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, your thermal fuse is bad if it shows no continuity and that's why its not heating.

Here's the thermal fuse for your model you can order:
Thermal Fuse W10909685

Should I use a leaf blower to blow air and remove any lint/dust and then vacuum them to ensure that it's really clean?
Yes, definitely.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, sorry about that, I meant thermal cut-off.:)

Here's the thermal cut-off for your model:
Thermal Cut-off WP8573713

Yes, make sure there is plenty of air flow coming out of your dryer exhaust vent. A vent restriction causes that thermal cut-off to blow out.

Jake

tampaite

Premium Member
Flame_Burns.JPG

FIXED. Thermal cut-off was bad. Thanks to Jake and other posts on this forum which were very helpful and now we have the flame burning!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent tampaite, glad to hear the new thermal cut-off fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake