• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag MGS5770ADC gas oven will not come on

dph

Premium Member
Model Number
MGS5770ADC
Brand
Maytag
Hope that everyone had a great Christmas and that it continues into the next year. I have a Maytag gas oven model MGS5770ADC. The oven will not come on. In the past I have replaced the oven igniter several times over the years, and it was good to go. Well, the oven went out again. A visual inspection showed the igniter was not glowing, so I replaced the igniter. However, I still have the same problem. The igniter will not come on. I did a continuity test on the old igniter I removed and it showed that it was good. So, if the igniter is good but not glowing, any thoughts on what the issue could be. My wife did tell me that when she turned the oven on, the front control panel made a crackling noise and could see sparking lights on the control panel. And that was the start of the problems. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

dph

Premium Member
Well, thanks for the reply. That part is a bit pricey for me. I would rather take that money and put it towards a new one. I suspect they do not sell very many of those. Again, thanks for the reply. Have a good one. The wife and I are off to look for a stove. . . . . . . . . yeeah!

dph

Premium Member
One more piece of information about the display panel. Although it made those noises and the light displays, it did not go blank. The clock is still working and if you hit "bake" it will display a temp, but it will only rise to about 150 degrees. Not much that can be cooked at 150 degrees. Would the culprit still most likely be the control board?

rickgburton

Staff member

dph

Premium Member
The igniter is not coming on. I used a non contact voltage tester and there is no current going to the igniter. When the broiler touch pad is pushed, the igniter for the broiler will glow, gas flows, and it lights. It works as it should. There is an electric heating element that skirts around the broiler. When "Bake" is pushed it glows and gives off the heat that is raising the temp to the 150 degrees I referred to. Not sure why that heating element is there.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, Look on the board for the green connector P5 pin 1 (red wire) It should be marked BAKE. Connect one meter lead to that pin and the other to white neutral wire and start a bake cycle. Does your meter indicate 120 VAC ?

dph

Premium Member
OK, Look on the board for the green connector P5 pin 1 (red wire) It should be marked BAKE. Connect one meter lead to that pin and the other to white neutral wire and start a bake cycle. Does your meter indicate 120 VAC ?
Any advice on how to get access to the board. It looks like the top should snap off, but I am not sure. I have taken the tops off a few washing machines that the top was held on by friction fit clips. Thanks for reading and I appreciate your input.

rickgburton

Staff member
On that model I think you need to remove the console end caps and a couple screws on each side and a few along the bottom and the console fold down

rickgburton

Staff member
Let us know if you have any problems. I'm not 100% sure that's the way it comes off.

dph

Premium Member
Let us know if you have any problems. I'm not 100% sure that's the way it comes off.
I got it opened. However, I am not seeing any of the landmarks you are pointing out. I have located the white neutral. Nothing is labeled "bake." There is a red wire that is connected to a board connection that is labeled P11 on top and MDL on the bottom. Any suggestions?

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, I was using a wiring diagram for a similar model that is mismarked. There should be a red wire on a single terminal marked BA that goes to the bake igniter. It should be between a yellow wire and a blue wire on the board.

dph

Premium Member
The reading is zero on the voltage. I am going out on a limb and going to predict the future. I am going to assume the control board is indeed the culprit?

rickgburton

Staff member
You assume correctly my friend. Did the console come off like I said in case others need to remove it? I'm guessing you found the red wire OK. Did you find a new range or are you going to repair that one?

dph

Premium Member
You assume correctly my friend. Did the console come off like I said in case others need to remove it? I'm guessing you found the red wire OK. Did you find a new range or are you going to repair that one?
Yes, the console has screws on the end caps and screws underneath and came off pretty easy. The red wire was marked BA and was by the yellow and blue just like you referenced. That was so helpful, and the white wire was marked neutral. This range is 16 years old. I had no clue that a part would be that expensive. With sales tax it would be well north of $800. I did come across several sources that will repair it if you send it to them. I do not sure if I feel real comfortable sending it to them for repair and then having them send it back. And of course what if it did not work. It could turn into a big headache. I think I will leave the new range selection to the wife. I have found that when I look the main driver is price since I do not really cook beyond using the burners occasionally. Her main driver is features. And just like a car, the more features the more the checkbook balance gets depleted.
I want to thank you for the help that you have kindly offered. I appreciate your donation of time and effort to person you do not even know. It is to be commended. Before the internet, the only way I would have even attempted to replace any part on an appliance, would have been if I personally knew someone with appliance experience that would let me bend their ear. Now, thanks to technology and kind people a guy in Oklahoma can get advice from a guy in Utah!
Again thanks ever so much, and I hope you have a great New Year's Day and a 2022!

rickgburton

Staff member
Thank you for the update. We appreciate it! That is the 2nd highest cost I've seen for a control board. The average life of a range is about 8 -10 years so at 16 I wouldn't fix it either. These two places are reputable board repair companies; corecentrics.com and circuitboardmedics.com. Always happy to help! Happy holidays!

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.