FIXED Maytag MHW7000XW2 Stops Working with No Fault Codes

maczones

Premium Member
Model Number
MHW7000XW2
Brand
Maytag
My Maytag Maxima 7000 Model MHW7000XW2 stops after starting the cycle. Events happens as follows:

1. Start Cycle

2. Door Locks

3. Tumbler spins a few times

4. Door Unlocks then relocks

5. Tumbler spins again

6. Then stops. Both Time display and Door Lock displays flashes on and off. No fault codes are ever observed

To restart, I select power off then power on and restart cycle. Sometimes it holds and goes through the whole cycle or stops during the rinse cycle (Restarting the machine again then finishes the cycle). Not sure if this is a CCU problem or motor drive problem. Also read there are 2 capacitors that go bad in the CCU but have not taken apart the machine yet to investigate. All help will be greatly appreciated

Mac

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Mac,

Look at your MCU for any burnt spots on it, seen that many times for this problem your having. If you do notice burnt spot/spots on it, then replace it and you'll be back in business.:)

Here's the MCU for your model you can order:
Motor Control Board WPW10374126

Jake

maczones

Premium Member
Thanks Jake for responding quickly to my inquiry. I take it that a defective MCU will not produce a fault code? and I would presume if the MCU is defective, then I would guess the expected spin rpm must be less than expected by what the the CCU is expecting which causes the washer to stop. I am still puzzled why both the time and lock displays flash when the washer abruptly stops...Is there any reason for this?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you check the MCU for burnt spots on it?

I take it that a defective MCU will not produce a fault code?
Not always.

I am still puzzled why both the time and lock displays flash when the washer abruptly stops...Is there any reason for this?
Also check the CCU for burnt spots on it.

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-1d80buH6mgkE_Qp0SQbhrYFfOQTahAW

Check for saved fault codes, and do the quick diagnostics test.

Jake

maczones

Premium Member
Jake;

Thanks for the service manual and the TS info.. I did get an F0 fault yesterday. Will need to cycle the faults tonight to see what clues that gives me and also dismantle the washer in the next few days to inspect those areas. Please standby and I will report.

Mac

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Mac, sounds good.

Jake

maczones

Premium Member
Ok Jake, did the diagnostics to check fault codes and got an F06, E01 fault which leads to a CCU to MCU communication issue. The big question now is, is the CCU bad or the MCU or both? Of course it could also be a loose connector issue too. Before opening the washer, I would like to narrow this down to know what would be the most likely bad actor (in most cases) for the errors noted above.

Mac

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Mac good,

F06 E01 is almost always a bad MCU.

Here's another thread with a similar model number that had the same error code: FIXED: WFW94HEXR2 - Help Multiple Errors

And you can see what David and I said, so I'd check your MCU for any burnt spots on it first.

Jake

maczones

Premium Member
Thanks Jake for the confirmation. I read the thread and it makes a whole lot of sense now. As soon as I have time this week, I will open the box and inspect the condition of the MCU. If bad, I will then move on to purchase.

I have already replaced the water level device on this 5 year old machine and who knows what else is coming down that road. Certainly Maytag used to be the name everyone could trust but something happened when Whirlpool bought them out for sure. My wife uses these machines extensively but she wants the next machines to be the old fashion/non electronic machines (and who can blame her) but looking around, it is apparent those days are over to find machines like the old. Maybe when that time comes, I will look around for a commercial machine instead like the ones found in a laundramat. :sulkiness:

maczones

Premium Member
Ok, Jake I took out the MCU to inspect it and found no burned spots or any signs of damage. I’ve attached two photos of the MCU (top and bottom sides) so you can see for yourself. One thing I did observe as I was removing the MCU, was the center connector (which goes to the motor), was not on tight. This could be the source of my intermittent issue but will need to reassemble and see if the issue clears up. Will check the CCU connections as well before reassembly.

Attachments

maczones

Premium Member
Followup update: Pulled out the CCU board as much as I could (could not release entirely the clam shell and feared I could damage the board by forcing it) but by lifting the clam shell and using a penlight I could not see any evidence of burned spots, so at least for now, physical damage can be ruled out. Reassembled everything and turned back on the machine and ran a normal 59 minute cycle. Machine worked as designed, so maybe that loose connector on the MCU was the issue. Still not fully convinced until a few more cycles are run to confirm my findings.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
maybe that loose connector on the MCU was the issue.
Lets keep our fingers crossed.:)

Jake

maczones

Premium Member
Well, I ran two loads of wash plus the initial run without clothes and for each wash, the machine worked without any issue. I did each wash in different wash settings to see if that made any difference and it did not. I think finding that loose connector on the MCU was most likely the cause of my troubles, so it is lessons learned to first check your connectors to make sure they are on tight. Jake, thanks for all your help to direct me to the MCU, as that led me to resolve this issue. I’m still a very conservative guy, so I am not 100% convinced yet this issue is resolved and after making a few more washes, then I will feel more confident the issue was resolved. :encouragement:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Mac, yes keep using your washer and see if it keeps working fine and let us know.:)

Jake

maczones

Premium Member
Well Jake, as expected, time will always tell the whole story and in my case I am back to the drawing board. The machine is back to its old self and giving me fits. I will look into replacing the MCU to see if that will resolve the problem.

Mac

maczones

Premium Member
Ok Jake the jury is out. Bought a new MCU and ran 4 loads of wash in the small load setting without a problem. Then on the 5th load, the washer did not start as the timer flashed the 44 minutes on the display, indicating something was not right for some unknown reason and it did not start. Reset the washer and worked as expected. Still no fault codes but disappointed that replacing the MCU did not finally clear the issue. So do you have any new ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, I would need to come out to your house now to see why this is happening.

Possibly you have a short in your wire harness. This needs to be investigated thoroughly.

Jake

maczones

Premium Member
Appreciate the offer but it would be a long trip to Florida. I had another reoccurance of the same issue this morning. Happens more or less at the same time during the beginning of the cycle, so having an intermittent or shorted wire connection must be ruled out. I bought this morning the CCU board and will try it out when I receive it. There are still no errors displayed. Problem only manifests either at the beginning stages of the cycle (99% of the time) or rarely when it enters into the rinse/spin cycle. It happens in whatever wash type cycle is selected. I will now need to pull out the CCU this time and will physically inspect the board throughly for any abnormality or burned spots as well. Sooner than later, I will prevail.

maczones

Premium Member
FINALLY FIXED and you will not believe it... After replacing the MCU and trying 2 new CCU's to no avail, I finally reinserted the original MCU circuit board and the original CCU board and called the Maytag repair man. Maytag repairman came, did his usual checks and could not produce any errors. The washer ran without any flaws and the Maytag repair guy said it was very unusual to not see the issue but suspected a bad connection somewhere in the harness. The washer has run for 4 months now without any issues. The bottom line is loose connection with possible harness connector wire that is not crimped as it should. Lessons learned and word of advice, Check all connections to make sure they are on tight.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, so it was a wire harness connector problem. Glad the mystery is solved. (y)

Thanks for the update! That will help others too!

Jake