• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag MHWE250XL00 Washer - GFCI trip

dreid

Premium Member
Model Number
MHWE250XL00
Brand
Maytag
working on a front loading washer that is tripping the dedicated GFCI (GFCI is required in my locale, tried plugging into a different gfci, same problem.)

my wife insisted on installing a microplastic filter on the drain line and admits to not changing it according to schedule, so I suspected a drain pump issue. had a local tech come to look at it and he said the pump was fine, tested the motor resistance and said that was fine, and it might be the MCU. He said he didn't want to take any responsibility for it since there is a good chance the MCU is NOT the problem. I bought a new MCU anyway, installed it, and same GFCI trip. If i unlock the door and turn the machine on, it works fine until i press start: the machine powers on, full control with the touch pad. As soon as i press the start button for the rinse and drain cycle, the door locks and the gfci trips (on fill). sometimes there is a hum sound, sometimes a bit of water comes in before the gfci trips.

I took the drain pump motor off and the chamber was full of gray smelly sludge. I gather that water is not supposed to enter this chamber, so I suspect the clogged microplastic filter caused a pressure build up in the drain pump motor, which breached the seal and possibly caused a short. Resistance reading on the pump is 12.6 ohms. the impeller turns as expected in both directions.

1) Could the drain pump motor be the problem even though the resistance reads ok?
2) if I try running it on a non-gfci outlet is there a chance I could fry the control board?
3) anybody want to buy an MCU?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
GFCI is required in my locale,
Most manufactures recommend not using a GFI. Look for any water or moisture on a live part (ie; drain motor).
Could the drain pump motor be the problem even though the resistance reads ok?
Yes, if it's leaking water on the wires.
... if I try running it on a non-gfci outlet is there a chance I could fry the control board?
No, here's an explanation on the GFI works:

Attachments

dreid

Premium Member
called Maytag, they said to run it on the non-GFCI and see what happens. so far so good, but they are sending a different tech. theoretically, should not be a current leak, though its old enough that maybe a minor wear and tear is causing it.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Ground faults occur when current can find a path to ground. The usual ground-fault suspects include worn wire insulation, conductive dusts, water, or other “soft grounds.” Another name for a ground fault is current leakage. Although wiring insulation is designed to keep electricity in the wire/conductor, all insulators have some conductivity. Even air is not a perfect insulator. Insulation conducts current through both electrically resistive and capacitive paths. If the wire insulation is old or damaged, its resistance is lower and current leakage could become substantial. The wire insulation protecting longer wires/conductors has higher capacitance, which can cause even more current leakage. On GFCI-protected circuits, current leakage causes ghost tripping. When troubleshooting “ghost” trips, sometimes looking for the current leaking culprit can be almost impossible without specialized test equipment.