• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag MHWZ600TW01 Washing Machine Stopping Mid-Cycle

scottdfuller

Premium Member
Model Number
MHWZ600TW01
Brand
Maytag
Apologies if this is a duplicate post. I thought I posted this but now can't find it anywhere.

I have a Maytag MHWZ600TW01 Washing Machine that's been stopping mid-cycle. About 15% of the time, within the first couple of minutes it suddenly stops and turns off. About 10% of the time, it will stop further into the cycle, maybe halfway through. Most of the time, when I turn it on and start it from the beginning again and, it runs through the full cycle fine. Sometimes it might take a couple of attempts.

Additionally, it seems to be louder than it was in the past, I think it's when the pump is running. I don't know if this is related or not.

I'm looking for some advice on where to begin looking for a solution. I'm not seeing any error codes or anythng so wondering if there is an obvious issue or part that can be replaced or a sequence of things to test to diagnose to issue. Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Scott

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Scott,

This is going to be very hard to find the problem, because its intermittent. It would be easier to find the problem if it quit working all together, you see what I mean?

So when the drain pump is running its much louder? How about when it spins is it much louder too?

I'd first check to see if something was caught in your water pump filter. Check that first.

Unplug the Machine
Remove Three Torx (hex heads) screws on front bottom of machine. Slighty lift the panel and pull the bottom towards you. Pump is right in middle in front of you.

Unscrew the pump handle with your hand, get something to catch the water thats left in it in.

Here's the water pump for your model(Video Included):
WPW10730972 Drain Pump and Motor Assembly

Jake

scottdfuller

Premium Member
Jake-

Thank you for the guidance. I'm embarrassed by the amount of stuff I found in the water pump filter. I've cleaned that out and will see if that solves the problem once I run several loads of laundry. Hopefully that solves the problem. While it's still a bit loud when the pump is running, it does seem a little better. Hopefully I didn't damage it by waiting to clean this out as long as I did. I may have to follow up on this thread if I still have issues. Is it worth $130 on a new pump for a washing machine thats 13 years old? What's the life expectancy on a Maytag washer these days?

-Scott

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Scott.(y)

Life expectancy is anywhere between 8 to 15 years old depending on how many loads you do a week.

Jake

scottdfuller

Premium Member
So, after a few loads, the pump still seems pretty noisy and it's stopped shortly into the cycle one time already. I'm wondering if I've damaged the pump due to my lack of maintenance and cleanout of the filter. What would be the next step in diagnosing the problem? If I could confirm that it's the pump, maybe spending $150 on it would make sense. However, I might not want to drop that money on a 13 year old machine if it's a crap shoot.

-Scott

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Scott, its the drain pump if its noisy like that. They just wear out, like any part can when appliances get over 10 years old.

Jake

scottdfuller

Premium Member
Would a worn out pump cause the stoppages? Is there something that trips the machine to turn off if the pump isn’t moving enough water?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes! The drain pump motor bearing is likely seizing up when it stops like that.

Jake

scottdfuller

Premium Member
So, replacing the drain pump would have a high probability of solving both the noise and the stoppage problem? If so, I may take that bet and replace the pump assembly.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When it stops like that can you please take a voltage reading at the 2 wires that go to the drain pump? So we can be 100% sure its the drain pump.:)

Normal would be 120 volts at those 2 wires that go to the drain pump.

Jake

scottdfuller

Premium Member
Jake-

Thanks for sticking with me on this. First, a little more clarification. When the machine stops mid-cycle, the whole machine shuts down, all the lights go out. In order to restart, I need to hit the power button again.

So, it did shut off mid-cycle again. I tried to take a voltage measurement at the pump. I didn’t get any voltage. I turned the power on, didn’t get any voltage. I started the cycle again and when the pump is actively running, I get 120 volts. When the pump stops running (but the machine is still going in another cycle). The voltage immediately drops to a few volts or negligible voltage.

I’m assuming that’s normal operation?

is there another possible cause for the stoppage? Did I distract and set you off on an incorrect path by mentioning the pump noise and that I collected 15 coins from the pump filter.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Scott, now I'm clear, I thought you meant just the drain pump shut down, not the entire machine.

So, that sounds like a CCU problem.

Here's the CCU for your model:
WPW10525358 Electronic Control Board

When the pump stops running (but the machine is still going in another cycle). The voltage immediately drops to a few volts or negligible voltage.

I’m assuming that’s normal operation?
Yes, that's normal.

Jake

scottdfuller

Premium Member
Thanks for all of your help Jake. That price tag for a 13 year old machine will definitly make me consider alternatives. I hate that it's wasting water due to restarting it on about 25% of the loads I do, but maybe I'll see how long I can just deal with it before I decide to but a new one.

I have a general question. If replacing a washing machine but not the dryer, in a stacked matching pair configuration...do all brands typically have the ability to stack in a mixed pair, or are you forced to choose between replacing with the same brand, doing a washer & dryer replacement together?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have a general question. If replacing a washing machine but not the dryer, in a stacked matching pair configuration...do all brands typically have the ability to stack in a mixed pair, or are you forced to choose between replacing with the same brand, doing a washer & dryer replacement together?
That's a good question Scott, but I don't know the answer. The store you get it from I'm sure can answer that.

Jake

scottdfuller

Premium Member
I couldn’t swallow the ~$300 price tag for a part on a 13 year old machine so I’m currently running mine into the ground while waiting to buy a new pair of appliances. July 4th sale maybe?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the update Scott.(y)

Jake