• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Microwave hums with door closed

drblakedds

Model Number
MMV5186AAW
Brand
Maytag
Microwave did a weird thing this morning. Put some oatmeal in to cook and when it was done, I took it out and closed the door. It started to hum with no buttons pushed. I tried an experiment with a new bowl of oatmeal and it was cooking it even though no buttons were pushed, and the turntable was not turning. The control pad works fine, and when I add time and push the start button, the light comes on and it cooks while turning the turntable. At the end of the cycle, I can open and then close the door and the hum comes back, and continues to cook the oatmeal. I unplugged it, waited 5 min and plugged it back in and the hum is gone. It would be nice to know what happened so I can either fix it or get a new microwave before it blows up on me. Any ideas?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member