• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag MMV4205BAW - broken turntable support

jaboobie

Premium Member
Hello. So far you've helped me with an ice maker and water heater with great results.

It looks like my turntable support snapped. It seems that the motor is still good as the turntable support sometimes rattles around but doesn't really turn, obviously. I couldn't find this particular turntable support number but I'm waiting to hear back from Maytag since I asked them for a part number. Maybe they'll send it for free, who knows, the Microwave is less than a year old. What would the repair entail? Does the support just sllip over a spindle in the whole in the bottom of the microwave or would I need to take the bottom off to get at it. What about the broken piece that's still inside the hole? Should I check to see if the motor's working for sure? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jaboobie

Premium Member
It look slike the proper name for this piece is the turntable hub, carousel hub, or turntable coupler and it's the piece that sits on the motor shaft. Apparently this section says it can be removed for cleaning or replacement so hopefully this is just a "find a replacement" search. If it helps, the hub looks exactly like the illustration on the above website. Do you think this part is unique to this microwave or could I find a replacement part somewhere. So far, nothing turns up on this website under this model number.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

jaboobie

Premium Member
Great, thanks! I just ordered two, sorry they're less than $5 a piece :), but lucky for me. And for what it's worth, it does appear that they just slip over the semi-circle motor shaft that is in the hole at the bottom of the microwave so as long as the motor is still working, and I believe it is, it should be a quick fix. I do wonder what would cause it to crack like that though. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help jaboobie.:)

Jake

jaboobie

Premium Member
Hey, just letting anyone else with the same problem know that this is the right part and they do just slip on over the motor shaft, very easy fix. I ordered two so I have a spare. Also, Maytag never got back to me on the email I sent to their customer service division asking if they knew where I could get a replacement part. So if you're waiting to hear back from them, don't hold your breath.