Maytag Model A211 Series 04 Serial 939733 Spanner Nut won't come out

Infernwo

Premium Member
Model Number
A211
Brand
Maytag
Hi everyone,
When I moved into my house it came with the Maytag Model A211 Series 04 Serial 939733. This washer has to be at least 30 years old, and recently stopped working, requiring a new transmission. I'm getting rid of it, but the problem is that it cannot get through the basement door so has to be completely taken apart. I have begun the process, but the spanner nut will simply not come out. We have tried everything wrenches, making holes in it to turn it etc... but it will not move.

Does anyone know how to take this nut out?

Photos attached.

15f4bdf1-96db-42f0-8d25-798a3db34a01.JPG 15f4bdf1-96db-42f0-8d25-798a3db34a01.JPG

Thanks

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its reverse threads.:)

Did you turn it clockwise to remove it? Use a hammer on the spanner wrench.:)

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
This washer has to be at least 30 years old, and recently stopped working, requiring a new transmission. I'm getting rid of it,
Manufactured Oct 1979. I wish I was closer to you. I'd buy it from you in a heartbeat. That's one of the best washers ever made. They're built like a tank and it's hard to kill them. I've replaced a few transmissions but I got to tell you a bad trans is very rare in that style. Sorry to hear you're getting rid of it.

Jake said:
Its reverse threads.
I remember the first one I ever did. Didn't know about the left hand threads. I sprayed it and sprayed it with WD-40. I must have banged on it with my 3 Lb sledge hammer that I cut the handle down (to fit in the tub) for over an hour. I got it on so tight I had to cut it off with a chisel. It wasn't until after I tried to put the new one on did I realize it was left hand threads...lol.

Infernwo

Premium Member
Thanks Everyone. I did know it was reverse threads but still a no go. Transmission replacement was $1300 (assuming they could find the part) so unfortunately it has to go. I think i'll have to get a professional in to have it removed.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Transmission replacement was $1300
Wow, $1000.00 for labor on a job that takes a couple hours. I should have moved to Canada to do appliance repair..lol