Premium Member
Model Number
A212
Brand
Maytag
Maytag Model# A212.
Series: 04
Serial#: 373099

Purchased (used) a few weeks ago. First issue was that it was loud and not drain. The drain pump was hard to turn by hand so replaced it and that solved the noise and drainage issue. Other issue is that washer will not stop when the final spin cycle is finished. I by-passed the lid switch but that didn't solve the issue.

Goes through this progression: fill + wash, drain, spin, fill + rinse, drain and spin, continues this pattern without stopping after final drain and spin.

Timer issu or other?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Other issue is that washer will not stop when the final spin cycle is finished
Goes through the off?
Possible the WLC is not resetting and the washer thinks it is still full of water, this can allow the timer to advance right through the off and start up in the next cycle.

The WLC is NLA :(

LINK> Water level pressure switch

LINK> How the WLC works

jeff.

HR Puffinblunts

Premium Member
Jeff, thank you for the reply. A few hours ago (before posting) I removed the tubing from the WLC switch and blew into it. Seems like it might be clogged as it didn't seem air was flowing through easily, if at all.

Test the switch as shown in video?:

HR Puffinblunts

Premium Member
I haven't tested the (water) pressure switch with an ohm meter yet. I removed the pressure switch hose and blew air through it without resistance. I tried water level by staring on "low" level, then filled from low to "" medium" and then from medium to "high". Water stopped each time at corresponding levels.

What I did notice is that during the rinse cycle the water level seemed lower compared to the initial wash cycle (both cycles set on "low" level).
Would it help to spray timer contacts with electronic cleaner/lube?

jeff1

Staff member
I haven't tested the (water) pressure switch with an ohm meter yet.
May not tell you much if it is mechanically sticking. Ohming is a good place to start, hopefully it will act up while you are ohming it.

Would it help to spray timer contacts with electronic cleaner/lube?
No.

jeff.

HR Puffinblunts

Premium Member
Thank you Jeff.

When using the "knit" cycle it works correctly and stops after final spin cycle. "Regular" cycle still not working correctly. Does this mean the timer contact point (final spin) in the regular setting mode is malfunctioning? Is there a diagnostic mode for a washer of this age (1970's or 80's...has PowerFin agitator.) ?

Attachments

Last edited:

jeff1

Staff member
When using the "knit" cycle it works correctly and stops after final spin cycle. "Regular" cycle still not working correctly. Does this mean the timer contact point (final spin) in the regular setting mode is malfunctioning?
Sounds like that is possible if all other parts/items are working in some cycles but not in other ones.

Is there a diagnostic mode for a washer of this age
None.

jeff.