• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Model MTF2156GEW does not stop running

Jason88

Premium Member
imported post

Hi, my 18 months old Maytag Refrigerator MTF2156GEW does not stop running. This could be my fault, but I'm not sure. What happanned was: my refrigerator has been making some cracking noises occasionnally, so my wife looked around in the fresh food section(this model's freezer is on top) and found some foam plastics(like the type used for packaging things) in a box-like part mounted on the ceiling of the refrigerator. From the user's manual that box-like part appears to be the vent through which the cold air from the freeze on top blow into the fresh food section below. I tried to remove the foam plastics but they were stuck, so I ripped several pieces off hoping they would just fall off, but they didn't and I gave up. Ever since that happanned, which was yesterday afternoon, the refrigerator has been running constantly with only a half an hour stop last night. Does anyone know if those foams were supposed to be there? It's too much of a coincidence that the frige now runs constantly after I ripped some of it out. Thanks in advance.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Jason88

Premium Member
imported post

Thanks, Jeff. Is this something I can install myself or do I have to call in a technician?

Jason88

Premium Member
imported post

Forgot to say, temp is still OK, since it's running constantly. I'm just curious about how the airflow was affected. Is it because the warmer air from the fresh food section is flowing back to the freezer due to the openned hole from the ripped foam, thus causing the temp in the freezer to go up?

jeff1

Staff member
imported post

Hi,

**Is this something I can install myself or do I have to call in a technician?**

Yes.....no. Not difficult to do, but the entire control assembly that is screwed to the FF section ceiling comes down, off and out to replace the part(s).

**I'm just curious about how the airflow was affected**

We are more going by your "this occured after I tried to remove the foam" problem. Both air intact and exhaust is done in that area, warm air is sucked up inside the freezer and cold airis blowndown from that area ( 2 seperate vents ).

Never hurts to check/clean the consensor coil under the refrigerator as well.

jeff.

Jason88

Premium Member
imported post

So it's possible that the warm and cold air is crossed preventing the FF section's temp to fall low enough to turn off the frige? I'll try to replace it myself, hopefully without breaking anything else. Thanks.

Jason88

Premium Member
imported post

BTW, I ordered the part and it's arriving in 2 days. Do you think the frige will be damaged if I leave it running like this for 2 more days? Or should it be turned off until it's fixed? Thanks again.

jeff1

Staff member
imported post

Hi,

The fridge is -capable- of running a lot and won't be harmed....but if you have a second unit to put all your food into and turn off that one until it is repaired, sure do that.

jeff.