FIXED Maytag MSD2454GR Ice build up at bottom of freezer

mflood

Premium Member
Model Number
MSD2454GR
Brand
Maytag
Freezer has ice build up at bottom. I thought it was leaking from somewhere above, so I cleared ice and turned off water supply line. Waited 24 hrs and ice built up again with water off. Please help me fix what's wrong.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The defrost drain hole is blocked. The evaporator sits in a drain trough and each time the refrigerator goes into defrost mode the defrost heater turns on and melts all the frost off the evaporator. The water goes through the drain hole and out by the compressor into the defrost pan. When the hole gets blocked the water has no place to go. It freezes in the drain trough until it's full then runs onto the freezer floor and builds up then onto the kitchen floor. Take the evaporator cover off and use a hair dryer to melt the ice out of the drain trough (put a few towels down). When you get to the drain hole use something like a turkey baster to force hot water into the drain hole until it comes out by the compressor.
M0310055-00004.jpg

mflood

Premium Member
The drain hole was definitely plugged with ice. I did exactly what Rick said, so it should be fixed now. Thanks Rick!