FIXED MayTag MSD2542VEB00 Can a non working condenser fan lead to compressor failure?

dockitec

Premium Member
Model Number
msd2542veb00
Brand
Maytag
M unit just started not working well temperature wise over the last few days. I came to realization it was definitely not working well for sure last night when i found melted icecream on the top shelf of freezer. after reading here, i did remove the access panel in rear of unit, and checked the start/relay assembly for obvious signs of failure. the relay unit appeared fine, no rattling or burn marks as far as i could see. when plugged in, it would make a light click here or there, but no other noise. I did notice that a small mouse had gotten caught in the condenser fan, and had stopped the fan from spinning. after removal of the mouse, fdan works fine, and the interior circulation fan was working during this whole non cooling episode.

The compressor does feel very warm, but the condenser coils do not feel warm (or cool for that matter).

My question is cold the heat of the compressor have been caused by the condenser fan not working? I currently have unit unplugged, and am hoping perhaps that will cool unit and it may work. as a safety backup I did order a new relay overnight, so I can try that tomorrow and see what happens . I do have a service appt for thurs afternoon, but am hoping to avoid that cost if possible, but have a funny feeling I will be doling out for a new compresor.

so... can a fan failure cause a compressor failure?, and if so, how long might that take?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, if the mouse was stuck in the condenser fan for a long time and that condenser fan was not running, then it could have burned your compressor out.

Now even if the compressor start relay doesn't rattle, it can still be bad, you'd need an ohm meter to test for continuity on it.

Here's the compressor start relay for your model you can order here if needed:
Manufacturer part number W10189190 is RepairClinic item number 1481748

Jake

dockitec

Premium Member
I had ordered the relay/start switch and had it sent fed ex next day, and when I put it in today and plugged unit it, i definitely heard the compressor start up, and the air coming from the back of the freezer felt much colder than it had over the last few days, so hopefully it solved the issue, if only for the time being. will know more when I go back home at the end of the day and check the inside temps of the unit.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes let me if that solved it.

Jake

dockitec

Premium Member
Jake, yes that seems to have solved the problem. so far the temp in the freezer is slightly less than 10 degrees farenheight, and has poroduced a half dozen or so batches of ice, and refreezed the ziploc bags of ice cubes that had melted I put in there last night.

My guess is that the mouse got caught in the fan, and in that time the compressor overworked, which shorted out the overload of the relay/start switch assembly, thus preventing the compressor from starting properly. In any event I seem to be back up and running, but will keep an eye on things for a few days to make sure I am in the clear.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, I'd say your good to go.:)

Jake