• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag MSD2556AEW blows circuit boards

AD5GB

Premium Member
imported post

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I just had a repairman out to fix my fridge. The board in the freezer door behind the ice dispenser control panel fried. Shortly after I noticed that it wasn't cooling. The repairman said the adaptive defrost board was bad causing the cooling problem and that the melting ice from the ice maker probably got water down inside the freezer door causing the ice dispenser board to fail.

$300 later, I had a new adaptive defrost board and assurance that the cooling problem was solved but he didn't have a replacement board for the ice dispenser. He suggested I could get one from Sears online and 'ohmed out' the circuits in the freezer door and said that it all looked ok.

Since I removed the original ice dispenser board ( it was stinking pretty bad and the front of the dispenser panel was pretty warm) I figured I could easily replace the board, so I ordered a new one. It arrived today and I promptly replaced it. When I plugged the unit back in, the light stayed on and none of the controls seemed to work. After 15 seconds or so, I heard a loud SNAP and the circuit breaker blew. I removed the board again and noticed scorch marks on in similar to the original.

Anyone know what might be causing this? The board was nearly $90...

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

Thats very odd both boards go out kinda at the same time, but since you paid $300 for the defrost board, I would call Sears back , They wont charge you anything to come back if you call within 30 days of the repair.

They will only charge you for another board, and if you have them install the board this time and it blows again, you don't pay for a 2nd board till they have completely solved that issue.

Jake

AD5GB

Premium Member
imported post

Greetings,

I must have misled you to thinking that Sears came out to do the defrost board repair. That repair was done by an independent appliance repair company. They were going to charge another $200 to come back out with the ice dispenser board but suggested that since I already knew how to get it out, I could put one in. That was when I learned that I could buy Maytag parts from Sears. They measured the circuits and said it all looked good.

I'm not sure how long the defrost board was bad. I recently bought the house (less than a month ago) and the refrigerator came with it. I have no idea if the previous owner had trouble with it or was manually defrosting it periodically.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Oh, Ok, i see now,

Yea, its hard to say what blew that board you put in. To give you a proper answer , i would have to be at your house to diagnose it, it gets pretty technical with those boards, i would have to check different readings per the schematic.

Jake