• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag MSD2651HEW Not Cooling Fridge/Freezer

Mike Michaels

Premium Member
Model Number
MSD2651HEW
Brand
Maytag
I have a MSD2651HEW Maytag that stopped cooling today. Serial number is 53926195LV. I think I bought it in 2008 at Home Depot with a Maytag washer, dryer, dishwasher, and microwave. The refrigerator is the only one that hasn't had a problem up to this point.

Both the fridge and the freezer are at room temperature. I pulled the thermostat temp controller and I get a resistance reading of near zero at every setting of the dial except for "off". At "off" the resistance is infinite. I interpret this to mean the thermostat temp controller is fine unless you tell me otherwise. Is my interpretation correct?

When the thermostat temp controller is plugged in and turned to the off position, I can hear the fan running in the rear of the freezer section (I assume that is the evaporative fan) and the fan on the bottom rear (I assume this is the compressor fan) but not the compressor. Might this suggest the Starter Cap or Relay has failed?

I found a wiring diagram, actually several. Does the leading "53" in my serial number mean that the "Series 53 Wiring Diagram" is the correct one for my unit?

What would be the next logical component to check.

Mike

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check for 120 VAC across the two wires going to the compressor start device. If the voltage is correct remove the start device from the compressor and shake it. If it rattles it's bad. If it doesn't rattle it could still be bad. Measure the resistance of the device and compressor windings. Here's how:
Component Test Comp Relay-1.jpg

Mike Michaels

Premium Member
Thanks for your quick reply. I continued troubleshooting after reading the schematic.

The relay doesn't rattle. The capacitor checks out as being an open circuit. But the compressor is very warm to the touch even though it hasn't kicked on for hours but was plugged in. I assume this means the compressor failed even though when I ohmed out the three plugs to the compressor they were all shorted to one another.

rickgburton

Staff member
You didn't check the voltage or check the relay and overload resistance. A run capacitor is not necessary for the compressor to run normally. So at this point I'll agree with you, the compressor is bad.

The relay doesn't rattle.
Like I said, that doesn't mean it's good.

The capacitor checks out as being an open circuit.
Make sure you know how to check capacitors:
C-Capacitor Test.jpg

I ohmed out the three plugs to the compressor they were all shorted to one another.
If your meter shows 0 or less than one ohm across any two pins on the compressor, the windings are shorted and the compressor is bad. However you should know that after 32 years of testing hundreds of compressors, I've never seen both windings shorted.

Mike Michaels

Premium Member
I'll check the capacitor again using the method shown.

I left it unplugged last night. When I came down this morning the compressor was at room temperature. I plugged it in and the compressor kicked on and it seems to be running fine. I vacuumed out the lint from the coils underneath. I am going to let it run all day and check it this evening.

Does the compressor have an internal thermal overload or is there only the external PTC Overload Relay?

Again, thanks for your replies. I'm an electrical guy but I don't recall ever working on a refrigerator previously. It really helps to have someone with experience providing support.

rickgburton

Staff member
No internal overload. If the compressor is working the windings can't be shorted. Check your meter. It might not be working correctly. It sounds like the overload was open. It will open if it gets too hot or if it draws too many amps. If the condensor coils were packed with dust and dirt build up, that could cause the compressor to get hot.

Mike Michaels

Premium Member
I plugged the refrigerator back in the next morning. The compressor immediately came on and the unit has been working just fine ever since. I vacuumed out the coils underneath and rolled it back into place. Knock on wood - it has been running fine ever since. Apparently the compressor overheated.

Thanks for all of your helpful replies.