• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag MVWB765FW2 Washer has a mind of its own

Hathompson

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWB765FW2
Brand
Maytag
My washer has been acting like it's possessed. It turns on and off at will, changes cycles all on its own and now it won't start or allow me to select any options but it does power up. I had absolutely amazing luck with this site when my freezer quit working and to this day it's still working great!! Can anybody help me with this evidently electrical brain issue?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below. Look on Page 2 where it says ACTIVATING SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE. Try to get into diagnostic mode.

3. If this test mode has been entered successfully, all indicators on the console will be illuminated for 5 seconds with “888” showing in the three-digit display and a tone will sound.

If nothing still happens:
Unsuccessful Activation If entry into diagnostic mode is unsuccessful, refer to the following indication and action:
Indication: None of the indicators or display turn on.
Action: Power on the washer.
--->If indicators come on, try to change the function for the three buttons used to activate the diagnostic test mode. If any button is unable to change the function, something is faulty with the button, and it will not be possible to enter the diagnostic mode using that button. Replace the user interface.
--->If no indicators come on after powering on the washer, go to TEST #1: Main Control (ACU), page 14.

Here's the UI(User Interface) for your model: W11135391

I have run across a few of these in my local area that the UI(User Interface) assembly was the problem, also check that thin wiring they are using now from the UI(User Interface) to the control board, I found one where those thin wires frayed and starting to break.

Keep us posted.

Jake

Attachments

• W10607408 - Rev F.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 82

Hathompson

Premium Member
Hey Jake....you were the one that helped me fix my freezer! So I was able to get it to display the error code F7E9. I can't visibly see anything stuck inside the washer...drum turns freely and agitator seems to also turn. What do I do next?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad I was able to help you fix your freezer.:)

F7E9 Locked Rotor
Fault is displayed when the main control determines that the motor Rotor is not moving when it is being actively driven.
• Mechanical friction on drive mechanism or basket (items between basket and tub).
• See TEST #3: Drive System, page 15 or TEST #3b: Drive System – Motor Page 16

But your not currently having any problems with the motor are you?

That maybe a old fault code. Clear it and start the washer and see if it comes up again.

Clearing Fault Codes
To clear stored fault codes, enter Service Diagnostic mode. Then press and hold the 3rd button used to enter Service Diagnostic mode for 5 seconds. Once the stored fault codes are successfully erased, the seven segment display will show “888” and a beep will sound.

Jake