Maytag MVWX500XW1, cycle won't start

SweetTartHeart

Model
MVWX500XW1
Brand
Maytag
Hello, please help me figure this out.

My washer had stopped working in the middle of a cycle on Friday. My kid said they heard a thunk noise and I checked the washer. It had stopped at the spin cycle.

I ran diagnostics and got F7 E1. I just replaced the actuator today. I tried to run through calibration but it stopped calibrating. The lid lock light was blinking. Ran diagnostics again, still says F7 E1. I spun the drum, it spins freely and without resistance. The lid will lock but the light still blinks when I try to start a cycle. I tried going through the Drain and Spin cycle. It'll drain but it won't spin.

What else could I do? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
F7E1 is a basket speed sensor fault. If you replaced the shifter, check the wire harness connections between the control, the motor and shifter. If the wire connections are good replace the control. For me the F7E1 has always been the shifter.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Same with me, I replaced about 7 shift actuators last year here in my area and the Error code was always F7E1. You may have got a defective shift actuator, where did you get it at?

Here's a simple test you can do:

Go into diagnostics and retrieve the codes, and clear them. This is very important since most complaints start with the lid lock on and blinking, or the unit will not start and spin.

If, when in diagnostics the codes are F7E1, F7E5, or motor speed codes, then chances are it is a motor, capacitor, or shifter related issue. Once the codes are cleared, put the washer into a manual diagnostic test and run the HEAVY AGITATION; if
after 15‐20 Seconds the motor runs then you can rule out the motor, capacitor, control, and most likely the wiring harness connections (although still check the BK wire from the shifter to the control). Remember, the timing wheel only turns in the
transmission during the spin cycle.

Next, while in Manual diagnostics, try to get the unit to spin; if the motor hums for a split second and then shuts down with the lid lock blinking; go back into diagnostic codes and look for shifter or speed sensor errors.

This is proof that the shifter/sensor assembly is the issue because the optical sensor is not reading the motor speed.

Here's the shift actuator for your model you can order here(Video Included):
WPW10006355 Shift Actuator

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime Rick.:)

Jake