• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag MVWX655DW0 - Control Board replaced, will not enter calibration mode. Will not start wash cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thock

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWX655DW0
Brand
Maytag
I have about a 7yr old Maytag MVWX655DW0 washing machine, and the problem that led to the control board being replaced was that the unit stopped before the drain/spin cycle and the lid was locked and could not be overridden. I attempted to unplug the machine, enter it into diagnostic mode (with original ctrl board), all to no avail.

I just replaced the control board, and the lid unlocked automatically. I was then able to run the drain/spin cycle. However, once that initial drain/spin cycle was complete, when I attempt to start a regular wash cycle, I press start and the pump automatically starts running like the machine is attempting to drain (there is no water in the tub to drain).

The machine will run through the automatic test cycle completely through the diagnostic mode, but I'm unable to get it to do anything outside of diagnostic mode aside from try to start draining.

I realized that I should have entered calibration mode before trying anything else, so I attempted to enter calibration mode, but the LED's flash quickly then all turn off and the unit does not enter any type of cycle. I'm at a loss as to what to try next, could it be that the new control board is faulty? Are there any other steps that I should attempt?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it sounds like you got a faulty control board.

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10qrY_n2NUds05LxEVbMGvJ0UsDlOPJq4 Do TEST #1 Main Control.

Here's the main control board for your model:
Control Board W10625696

TEST #1: Main Control Page 12 and 13
This test checks for incoming and outgoing supplies to and from the main control. This test assumes that proper voltage is present at the outlet.
1. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
2. Remove console to access main control.
3. Verify that ALL connectors are inserted all the way into the main control.
4. Plug in washer or reconnect power.
5. With a voltmeter set to AC, connect black probe to J7-3 (Neutral) and red probe to J7-1 (L1).
If 120VAC is present, go to step 6.
If 120VAC is not present, check the AC power cord for continuity (See Figure 9).
6. Is the “Diagnostic LED” ON or OFF? (See Figure 3 below for LED location.)
ON: (+5VDC present) continue to step 7.
OFF: (+5VDC missing) proceed to step 8.
7. With a voltmeter set to DC, connect black probe to J2-3 (Circuit Gnd) and red probe to J2-4 (+13VDC).
If +13VDC is present, main control supplies are good.
If +13VDC is not present, go to step 8.
8. Check if shifter assembly is affecting the main control DC supplies.
a. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
b. Remove connector J2 from main control.
c. Plug in washer or reconnect power.
d. Repeat steps 6 and 7. Perform the +13VDC check inside header J2 on the board – do not short pins together.
If one or more DC voltages are still missing, go to step 9.
If the DC voltages return, check for short in harness between main control and shifter assy.
If harness and connections are good, replace shifter assembly.
9. Main Control has malfunctioned.
a. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
b. Replace the main control.
c. Reassemble all parts and panels.
d. Plug in washer or reconnect power. Calibrate washer and perform Automatic Test to verify repair.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Thock

Premium Member
Thank you Jake! I'll check this and report back. I appreciate your response, this has me baffled! It runs through the auto test cycle and performs all the cycles just fine, just won't start a regular cycle without the pump trying to drain immediately.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes keep us posted.

Jake

Thock

Premium Member
Hi Jake, thanks again for taking time to provide this info. I ran through each step of the test above, and everything checked out as it should have. Step 5: voltage was 120; Step 6: LED was on; Step 7: read +13VDC.

I ran through the remaining steps as well, and after reassembly attempted Calibrate step, which gave the same result as when I originally tried it. I set to calibrate through diagnostic mode, then hit start, only to have the lights flash very briefly and then nothing else happened.
Automatic test mode performed all steps in the cycle as it should, and when I attempt to start a regular wash cycle, I'm still getting the same results - the pump will run for a few minutes and then cut off automatically. Attempting to start another wash cycle after that just repeats the same, pump starts, runs, shuts off. I think I may be at the point of calling someone out to take a look. Any other thoughts I might could try?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Get into the ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES and see what fault codes you get, if any.

On Page 2 of your tech. data sheet do: ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES

Then do FAULT CODE DISPLAY MODE on Page 3--->Then you can see what fault code/codes you are getting on Page 6 and Page 7: FAULT/ERROR CODES

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, you already tried entering diagnostics mode and to no avail?

If so, you have a very odd problem, and yes having a tech come out would be best.

Jake

Thock

Premium Member
Get into the ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES and see what fault codes you get, if any.

On Page 2 of your tech. data sheet do: ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES

Then do FAULT CODE DISPLAY MODE on Page 3--->Then you can see what fault code/codes you are getting on Page 6 and Page 7: FAULT/ERROR CODES

Jake
I'll give this a try when I get a break from work this afternoon. I tried deciphering the fault codes previously, but I need to spend more time on them, they were a bit confusing at first glance.

Thock

Premium Member
Wait, you already tried entering diagnostics mode and to no avail?

If so, you have a very odd problem, and yes having a tech come out would be best.

Jake
Yes sir, I'm able to get into diagnostic mode with no problem, and have run the Automatic Test mode right after I replaced the board originally, and then after performing the main control board test you outlined the other day for me. I'll try to get a read on the fault codes once I have a break from work this afternoon. Thank you very much for the responses though, you've been very helpful!

Thock

Premium Member
Ok I'm very happy to report that I think we're resolved here. After I deciphered the fault code, it was a pressure system fault. I reseated the water level tube and that seems to have worked so far. Have a cleaning cycle running now and will report back after the first successful regular wash cycle we run 👍

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok I'm very happy to report that I think we're resolved here. After I deciphered the fault code, it was a pressure system fault. I reseated the water level tube and that seems to have worked so far. Have a cleaning cycle running now and will report back after the first successful regular wash cycle we run 👍
Excellent @Thock glad to hear that.(y).

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.