FIXED Maytag MVWX655DW1 Won't Spin High-Speed

wklambert

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWX655DW1
Brand
Maytag
Been fighting balance issues with my MVWX655DW1 lately. Replaced spring rods, and seems to hold a balance better now, but still will not come up to speed on high spin. Manual testing shows indicators blinking. Lid lock tests fine. For final spin, agitator spins really fast, then stops. It does this three or four times in a row, and then wash tub slows to a stop. Error codes are either lid lock (which tests good) or balance issue (which is no longer the case since replacing spring rods.) so, not sure where to look next.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Its possibly the hub underneath the washplate, that's stripped.

Here's the hub for your model, its located underneath the washplate:
W10528947 Hub

I'd first check your hub to see if the teeth are starting to grind down.

The hub has screws that hold it in place, you will see them once you remove the washplate.

To remove your washplate, Watch this video below, wiggle the washplate while pulling it up.

[video=youtube_share;2l19ojF3pnA]

Here's a couple photos below that show this hub as stripped, see the missing teeth?

Jake

Attachments

wklambert

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply. Was having trouble getting washplate removed. Used straps to get under the lip of the washplate to distribute effort. Finally got it worked free. (Took quite a bit of wiggling). Removed hub, and visual inspection of old hub revealed exactly what you show here. The bottom teeth of the hub were worn smooth. Replaced the hub, and washplate. Cleared fault codes and running a test wash now. Will report back shortly.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, so your hub teeth was stripped smooth too?

How did the wash test go?

Jake

wklambert

Premium Member
Yes, they were. Very happy to have found that as the issue, and wasn't a super difficult fix. The hardest part, was being patient enough to get that wash plate moving and off the spline shaft. We have tested empty, and full. Washer is operating like it did when it was new :) Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent good job, glad to hear the new hub fixed.:)

Thanks for the update!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Jake

TLab735

Premium Member
I am so blessed to have found this site. I live in Northern MI, and I'm a single, not so handy lady and repairman or handyman are a rare thing in our area. My washer stopped spinning, I called and called, even paid 5 bucks to talk to an online repair guy(he said it was the transmission), even local friends said oh that sounds bad, start looking for a new machine. Only repair person that would come out was 12 days out. Well I did not give up and I found this post..... It described my problem to a T, had the solution, and the proper parts. I FIXED IT MYSELF!!!!!! Thank you!!!! Thank You!!!! Thank you!!! $25 hub part was all that was wrong. As for getting out the plate, that was a challenge, bought some cheap picks from walmart, bent the J hook to match the L, stuck it in hole in plate on opposite sides, and popped that plate out. Thank you for your detailed discussion and video. My hub looked just like the one pictured. Thank you for making this site and being there, you saved me several hundred dollars.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, Glad to hear it was just a bad hub on yours too and NOT the transmission. (y)

Thanks for letting us know!

Jake

Greg1960

Premium Member
Does anyone have any ideas on how the remove the tub plate? Been working on it for hours and hardly moved. Tried prying it up with knives and screw drivers. I am sure it's not supposed to be this tough. That's why I am thinking the splines are stripped.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Greg,

You will need a lot of force to pull it out, or have someone help you pull it out. OR use a jack and 20" 2x 4.

Watch this video below, he shows you how with a jack and 20" 2x 4.

Jake

TLab735

Premium Member
Does anyone have any ideas on how the remove the tub plate? Been working on it for hours and hardly moved. Tried prying it up with knives and screw drivers. I am sure it's not supposed to be this tough. That's why I am thinking the splines are stripped.
When I was trying to take off the plate, I had problems also UNTIL.... I went to walmart and bought a cheap Pick set 4 or 5 picks on screwdriver handles, I took the J pick and bent it to the shape of an L. The kit comes with 1 L, after bending the J to and L now I had 2. Stick one pick in a hole in the bottom of the plate Kinda towards the outside edge. Then stick the other L Pick in the opposite side outside edge. Now you have 2 handles and pull straight up wiggling the plate a little and it popped right out for me. This was the most frustrating part. Hope it helps. Tammy