Maytag Neptune 8700 repair issues & Maytag Rant.

jazzman_q

Premium Member
Good day all,

This is the only place I cam find to vent my Frustrations over Maytag's failures and possibly give others the info I got while going through this.

History: Purchased entire kitchen, and laundry room back in May 2005 (Fridge, Gemini Stove, DWasher, Microwave, Neptune W&D and risers)

Weeks after install of Washer it starts making a banging noise, metal on metal,and walking across the room, call maytag get first IDIOT, er I mean technician, who says the washer was not installed with the proper mounting kit for the machine to riser install. IDIOT, er I mean tech says I'll have to order the replacement parts. I say OK, as long as it fixes the problem. Call back three weeks later to find out about the parts, and a repair date.

Second Technician, I'll call him that, comes out and discovers that IDIOT ordered the wrong parts, wates of trip, and day off...

Second tech comes back, replaces the install kit and installs a new kit for the feet, upgrade to the regular 1/4 to 1/3 inch bolts that will bend. sets front feet 1/4 higher than rear. Thinks that's it, tests washer without a load, no banging or walking, cool I say. Hour later under load back comes the banging, and walking. I call tech back, and he works for another 3-4 hours only to tell me the tub is our of round, and needs tp be replaced.

I'M NOT THRILLED...Machine is less that 8 months old, So I call Maytag and here begins the interesting part of my story. Maytag will only repair the machine, not matter how extensive the problem is.

According to the tech the machine has to be completely disassembled in order to replace the tub, I am not happy with this solution, as it is a new machine. He advises that he has not done this particular repair on a neptune, therefore even he is not sure if it will fix the problem.

I have contacted Maytag several times, spent countless hours on the phone, and getting hung up on, all in an attempt to find a more consumer reasonable solution, I even had to go as far up their corporate ladder to the CEO Ralph Hake, and they still refuse to replace the unit.

I did find however that you get a better response time to your complaint if you call or fax the CEO directly. When I called the regular number all i could get was "The parts are on national back order, and we don't know when they will be in" I call him and a miracle occurred the part was found and overnighted to my home, I'm not sure if my threatening to contact the attorney's general or the better business burea aided. Or maybe it was just that I was/am upset enough to work my way up the broken appliance mountain to keep complaining about their treatment of me.

He has a Secretary/Admin Assistant was rather polite though...

Maytag Corporate # is (641) 792-7000 I asked for and got his office directly, which did surprise me.

His direct fax # is (641) 787-8433

I plan on calling his office directly from now on, when any of these machines so much as hiccup, or if they refuse to take my calls, I guess I'll have to get his home address and #'s as well. I think he would not like hearing from mad consumers at home not would he.

Ralph F. Hake
403 W.4th St N.
Newton, IA 50209

Suffice it to say I will never recommend maytag to anyone, period.

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
Hi,

I am a factory tech from Maytag. I read your post and I feel for you and your frustration. The reason the Neptune is walking is because when Samsung developed it, it was not engineered to be on a pedestal. It wasn't until after the fact that Maytag decided to offer it. In Korea, citizens just don't use pedestals. A pedestal is a very good selling point. It raises the washer which makes it easier to access to load and unload, the controls are easier to read, storage drawer is nice. You are one of a million customers who have this issue. In Maytag's defense, the machine is brilliant, but the raising of the center of gravity was a bad decision. Believe me when I tell you that engineers are working feverishly on a solution to this problem. Some of biggest problem occurs in the mid speed range of spin 400-700 RPM. They are currently working on new control enhancements to change the ramp up speed or something along those lines. I try to remind my customers, who are often very frustrated, that I too am a consumer and I get very upset when I drop a large sum of money into something and have problems. It's understandable and it's human nature. A few things to consider from a tech's standpoint:

Washers do not do well on wood floors. I don't care how reinforced the customer thinks their 300,000 dollar homes floors are, chances are, the builder put in standard 16" spaced joists and 1/2 " to 3/4" flakeboard. If I can feel any vibration in my feet, the wood is flexing which means the unit is not sitting on a suitable structure. Washers in basepans are nightmares and 50% of the time aren't even plumbed to the sewer, not to mention they create a buffer between the machine and the foundation (floor) which isn't good.

Manufacturers are trying to develop technology so fast to beat out a competitor in the same market that I feel adequate time isn't given for proper testing in varying situations. Case in point...Whirlpool's direct spark ignition system in their ovens in 2000. They had tons and tons and tons of furious customers with baking issues. On the flip side, when working properly, it's not drawing the standard 3.2 amps an ignitor draws when heating and it's saving the customer a ton of cash.

These manufacturers rely on your faith in their product to stay in business. I'll hear people tell me all the time "I had my old GE refrigerator for 27 years, so I bought this one and now I'm disappointed." An appliance repairman is going to honestly tell you what he's seeing the most of, mainly because he's sick of working on it and probably wants to vent to someone. Whenever I buy a piece of equipment, I'll call a repair shop to see how frequently it's on their work bench.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that don't be too hasty. We all get raw deals in purchasing. Our goal is to buy wisely and make good decisions. Sometimes when things are out of our control it becomes easy to lose our tempers and place blame where it's not always due. No one wants to sell a piece of equipment that has failures. I disagree with customers who tell me that we live in a throw away society and they only make things to last 5 years. Back to the GE fridge statement...if you own something a long time, it brings you back. Manufacturers know this and they are striving to make their equipment friendly to use for us all.

By no means am I condoning anything that's happened to you, or backing up the manufacturer. Just know that you aren't the only one who's furious about this, I hope I made some impact and I hope you understand that many other customers are struggling with you. As a technician, it's even harder telling someone that there's an issue, we know about it, engineering is working on it, I can't help you at this time. Bear with it the best you can because it will eventually become a thing of the past and all will be good again! We're all blessed that we have these conveniences and even more blessed we have the freedom to express ourselves about them. Thanks for reading.

Jmon

Premium Member
Maytag 8700 walking, dancing, vibrating, banging.

Hello all:
I'm looking for feedback or suggestions about the Maytag 8700 washer. I'll start from when I purchased the machine w/ riser total of $1300.00 from a well known retail store, in August 2005. Starting Dec. 05 I called for a service rep due to the constant walking/vibrtation/banging (wvb). He installed a "anti vibration kit" I'll call it. This was four new bolts/nuts, and washers spaced between the washing machine and riser. Four new levelers and anti friction pads (adhesive backed sandpaper) for the floor. It still WVB. He also mentioned that tech support suggests a 5 degree tilt to the rear would help. I don't think it was quite 5 degrees that he adjusted it too. Well in short it still WVB, only the banging was even louder.

The return service call would be for foam tape applied to eliminate the banging of metal to metal at the front panel specifically the lower right area. Now the service tech suggested I only use the "gentle" spin cycle and also not to put in my Carhart pants (that would only be 1 pair for this test). It still WV, but slightly less banging now. Now he suggested I would need to level the concrete basement floor because that is the obvious problem. A bit extreme I thought. I think that might be a standard answer when all else fails.

The floors is off 3/8" to 1/2" front to back. Isn't this why they have leveling legs? Anyway I contacted Maytag and after much discussion I was told that no way no how would the take the machine back. So I contacted the retailer who contacted Maytag and about a week later it was cleared that I could get a new Maytag 8700 and return the first one back to the retailer.

This time and just to make sure of any other suggested faults, I broke up the old concrete floor ( a 4' x 4' section) poured a new 4" slab that is ABSOLUTELY LEVEL and let it cure for a week. Installed the new machine w/ the new riser following all instructions to the letter. This time I did not have to adjust the levelers so I had them threaded fully in. Still I have the WV and not the banging yet. So now I tried the 5 degree tilt. I have a digital reading miter/level so I set it for 5 degrees. There is not enough adjustment in the front levelers to get 5 degrees safely. It is quite a bit. On the funny side if I tilt it back a bit more I'd have a top loader. Anyway it still WV. I've triedthe exact same load in the "test spin cycle" several times. Once it will walk and maybe on the following "test spin" it would stay. But it still has the problem of walkin/vibrating. My wife cannot push the machine back everytime there is a problem. And that is way to often.

Also w/ the first machine the tech suggested to remove the riser. I tried this too. The machine still vibrates w/o the riser. And it will still walk or dance w/o the riser.

Now I'm at the point of having to call service back again, and I'm sure again and again.

If these issues do not get resolved I believe this may turn into a class action suit.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jmon

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
As I've stated in the previous post, they are frantically working on a solution to this problem. The solution they've come up with and are now testing in the field is a new control board that changes the ramp up of the basket, includes a anti vibration electronic sensor and it really seems to help alleviate the issues so far.

As far as a class action lawsuit....Bare with me while I explain something to you all.

This is the UNITED STATES. Today I had a conference call with Whirlpool. They just closed two maytag manufacturing plants and thousands of people lost their jobs. Why??? It all started with a class action lawsuit over a mildew problem. All the consumer had to do was run the machine through a freshen up procedure and leave the door cracked open. Mom's been leaving her door open for years with absolutely no mildew. Yes the light would have to be popped out to do this all the time. So, if you feel that it's right to sue the corporation over your $1,000 machine, be my guest. I served in the USMC so you could have freedom to do that, but I would recommend a little patience and understanding as it's a widespread problem that Maytag is desperately trying to correct. Maytag has always stood behind their consumer for the most part, so let them fix it for us. I am tired of the vibration problems myself, but I'm letting it run it's course. You can always just call Maytag and ask them to buy back your unit. They will do it if you talk to the right people!!! I feel bad for you all that are having these issues. It's a shame too because the machine is good when it's working the way it was supposed to. IF your unit has been beating itself for too long, the shocks may be worn out at this point, the tub could be out of round, etc....Ask for your money back and skip the attorneys please.

Jmon

Premium Member
JMSHAFFER:
Thanks for the reply and your opinion.
First, let me make clear, I have never sued anyone, and am not looking to do so now.
If a company is having a problem w/ a product than owe up to it.

Extend my warranty and advise me that we are a test case for this product. Obviously R&D could have tested further before putting this product on the market.

Patience and understanding:
Understand that I have been going through this for 9 months now. My wife at 105# cannot move this washer back into place each time it shifts. I think you can agree, this is just not right.

I believe the warranty is for a 1 year period. So how long must I wait.
Also remember that because of the service techs reccommendation I leveled the floor, at my expense. I think I have done my part.

As far as calling Maytag and speaking to the "right people" about a buy back. If I call Maytag I would believe that anyone representing Maytag would be the right person I need to speak with. That was not the case w/ the person I spoke with. As I said, that person indicated to me that no way no how would Maytag take back the washer.
If as you say they are frantically trying to fix this and are now trying a new control board in the field to alleviate the vibration issues, that's great. I do need to make another service appointment and maybe that's what will remedy this. This issue does keep the service techs busy, maybe that 's good.

You are right that when this machine works properly, and I mean w/ no vibration or noise it is a good machine.

etylormcp

Premium Member
I feel your pain!

I just purchased these W&D on Saturday Netptune 8700 and got them connected last night. The very first load I experienced the walking vibrating and banging (lower right). I started to investigate this on the web today and was astounded that I could spend this much money on a washer an dryer and it acts like this.

My faith in Maytag has been shaken to the core after this experience and viewing all these problems (literally thousands of posts) all over the web. I do not have the risers and my floor is very strong no matter what may be said as even though I live in one of those $300K plus homes my house was built in 1968 and yes it does have 16" on center beams the beams are nearly twice as thick (10" beam structure? not sure what the actual measurement is but I have been in new construction recently and seen first hand the size difference) as what is used in current construction. :mad: So don't tell me my floor is weak.

This is just a badly engineered product and it is relying on Maytag's former good name to get a bad product through to people who will buy enough of them and put up with the issues to make money. Can anyone say Microsoft Windows ME? The difference here is that when your computer is on the fritz you just walk away and say I'll deal with it tomorrow. When you can't wear clean clothes you tend to get a little more upset a whole lot more quickly.

I unfortunately think I will be best served to return these tonight and go and get a replacement from Kenmore for my Kenmores that are still woking that the Neptunes were to replace before I go through some of the service nightmares I have read here and elsewhere.

etylormcp

Premium Member
I feel your pain but I am stupid!

Well at least for the moment I am the moron here. I was missing the manual in my new washer when I connected it last night but hey I have connected washers before so no big deal right? Well it seems after digging around in their site some more that I neglected to remove the shipping bolts. So for now I am the idiot and will update here tomorrow. :eek: :eek: :confused:

Jmon

Premium Member
Just want to update on this issue.
I still have the vibration/walking problem w/ this machine. Maytag/Whirlpool service apparently has not completed the frantic search for a solution here. I believe it was about a control board for ramp speed.
This 8700 is now the second one. The first was taken back by the retailer and replaced with the one we have now. The believe was that the first 8700 may just have been a faulty machine.
So now w/ the #2 machine and some more service calls the problem remains. Each service tech that came out said they are well aware of the vibration/walking problems with the machine.
Some suggestions by the service techs are:
Try different size loads, no carhart pants or if 1 carhart balance w/ 2 towels. Or if 1 towel balance w/ 1 velour sweater and 1 carhart pants. Or 2 towels and 1 velour sweater. Could get confusing.
Another suggestion was not to use the faster spin speeds.
I don't think this is acceptable.
I know I've been patient with this problem. But it still has not been corrected.

k1rod

Premium Member
As far as a class action lawsuit....Bare with me while I explain something to you all.

This is the UNITED STATES. Today I had a conference call with Whirlpool. They just closed two maytag manufacturing plants and thousands of people lost their jobs. Why??? It all started with a class action lawsuit over a mildew problem. All the consumer had to do was run the machine through a freshen up procedure and leave the door cracked open. Mom's been leaving her door open for years with absolutely no mildew. Yes the light would have to be popped out to do this all the time. So, if you feel that it's right to sue the corporation over your $1,000 machine, be my guest. I served in the USMC so you could have freedom to do that, but I would recommend a little patience and understanding as it's a widespread problem that Maytag is desperately trying to correct. Maytag has always stood behind their consumer for the most part, so let them fix it for us. I am tired of the vibration problems myself, but I'm letting it run it's course. You can always just call Maytag and ask them to buy back your unit. They will do it if you talk to the right people!!! I feel bad for you all that are having these issues. It's a shame too because the machine is good when it's working the way it was supposed to. IF your unit has been beating itself for too long, the shocks may be worn out at this point, the tub could be out of round, etc....Ask for your money back and skip the attorneys please.
This is a nice sentiment but let me relate my recent experience to you and see if this puts a different light on it. I own one of the dreaded Neptune models (MAH3000) that I purchased new back in 1998. Prior to this purchase, I loved Maytag products. I recommended Maytag to everybody and never would have considered any other brand. I was a champion for Maytag. I bought the uber expensive Neptune because I wanted the "best most reliable Maytag". Obviously, this wasn't it. Since I owned it, I have replaced the control board three times and the wax moter twice. The motor control board (another board) was replaced twice, the second time along with the motor and a wiring harness. I had the timer replaced twice and the detergent dispenser replaced twice. The "moldy boot" was replaced three times and finally the grandaddy repair of them all, the bearings in the tub went out and the tub had to be replaced. All of this while the machine does maybe one load a day for a family of four. :mad: The machine now is making the squeaking sound every time the tub changes direction and at some point in the cycle, the machine loudly goes "bang bang bang bang" (I think while it is spinning). Anyway, I have had enough of this money pit. Nonetheless, I wanted to replace it with a Maytag! I decided to call Maytag to see if they would offer me some/any incentive, just perhaps a token, $25 gift certificate or discount, perhaps a few bottles of HE dtergent, just something to give me some indication that they valued my business and wanted to keep it. I called up the customer service line and explained all of this (It was obvious the representative was jaded and didn't seem to care at all and was just intent on regurgitating the company shpeal) I explained to her that I did not take part in the class action suit because I don't believe in sueing anybody. She told me that I should have taken part in the suit and because I didn't, too bad I was SOL (as a marine I am sure you know what that means). I calmly told her that I think the suit mandated the minimum the company had to do but that there was nothing in the law preventing Maytag from working with a dissatisfied customer to regain their loyality. She then got very hostile and said "Fine" you can talk to my supervisor and put me on hold for 5 minutes, then hung up on me. These people are absolutely clueless about the the value of a loyal customer. They don't care. They have destroyed one of the greatest American brandnames. A brandname whos most excellent reputation took decades of hard work by good people to build. They deserve to lose their jobs. And I am going out to buy an LG Tromm. It's a shame really.

MarlandMaytagLoverNOT

Premium Member
This is a nice sentiment but let me relate my recent experience to you and see if this puts a different light on it. I own one of the dreaded Neptune models (MAH3000) that I purchased new back in 1998. Prior to this purchase, I loved Maytag products. I recommended Maytag to everybody and never would have considered any other brand. I was a champion for Maytag. I bought the uber expensive Neptune because I wanted the "best most reliable Maytag". Obviously, this wasn't it. Since I owned it, I have replaced the control board three times and the wax moter twice. The motor control board (another board) was replaced twice, the second time along with the motor and a wiring harness. I had the timer replaced twice and the detergent dispenser replaced twice. The "moldy boot" was replaced three times and finally the grandaddy repair of them all, the bearings in the tub went out and the tub had to be replaced. All of this while the machine does maybe one load a day for a family of four. :mad: The machine now is making the squeaking sound every time the tub changes direction and at some point in the cycle, the machine loudly goes "bang bang bang bang" (I think while it is spinning). Anyway, I have had enough of this money pit. Nonetheless, I wanted to replace it with a Maytag! I decided to call Maytag to see if they would offer me some/any incentive, just perhaps a token, $25 gift certificate or discount, perhaps a few bottles of HE dtergent, just something to give me some indication that they valued my business and wanted to keep it. I called up the customer service line and explained all of this (It was obvious the representative was jaded and didn't seem to care at all and was just intent on regurgitating the company shpeal) I explained to her that I did not take part in the class action suit because I don't believe in sueing anybody. She told me that I should have taken part in the suit and because I didn't, too bad I was SOL (as a marine I am sure you know what that means). I calmly told her that I think the suit mandated the minimum the company had to do but that there was nothing in the law preventing Maytag from working with a dissatisfied customer to regain their loyality. She then got very hostile and said "Fine" you can talk to my supervisor and put me on hold for 5 minutes, then hung up on me. These people are absolutely clueless about the the value of a loyal customer. They don't care. They have destroyed one of the greatest American brandnames. A brandname whos most excellent reputation took decades of hard work by good people to build. They deserve to lose their jobs. And I am going out to buy an LG Tromm. It's a shame really.
We had an Amana gas stove (Maytag) product we loved when in NC. Bought a house in MD and inherited a Neptune washer that produced great mold and destroyed clothing. When I called Maytag, found out I was a couple of months past last date to get into the class action suit.

I work in a customer service-type job and I can tell you definitively that Maytag phone reps are the nastiest, most hostile, unaccomodating people and I think they are req'd to be so to deflect the cost of repairing thousands of poorly designed Neptune washers.

The senior execs at Maytag, the Head of Engineering, and the Head of Marketing who likely demanded the Neptune be put on the market before it was ready and right should be losing their jobs. They eventually will. If the company is that structurally screwed up, and it appears they are, they will put themselves out of business and it is not our fault. It's bad that manufacturing people are losing jobs but they needed to SPEAK UP and say the darn thing wasn't right and shouldn't be put out for sale.

The design sucks- any repairman will tell you that. If the wax motor goes , it's out the door and in the yard for the Sledgehammer Fest!

Oh, and btw, my little sister is an Army captain overseas. Her husband is Air Force and my brother handles nuclear transport security network ops. So the patriotic slant doesn't work for me.

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
Me again

All I can say is: Thank God Whirlpool bought Maytag. Thank the Lord and sweet baby Jesus. Thank the Lord, Whirlpool is ditching Samsung. My prayers have been answered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Insteadof

Premium Member
Solution?

It is coming up to 2 years since “Believe me when I tell you that engineers are working feverishly on a solution to this problem.”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
During this time I have gladly told all my friends that ask, why there is a machine gun going off in the laundry room, that this is Maytag engineering at its best. Oh sometimes it is fine. It sits there a hums at the highest spin cycle and there is barely a sound. Most of time it is just embarassing to think that I spend good money on junk. This product was sold with a flaw. The consumer is left holding the junk.<o:p></o:p>
Where is the “solution”?<o:p></o:p>

Insteadof

Premium Member
Tired of the noise

Has anyone come up with a solution to the machine gun banging? I’m ready to open this thing up and see what is banging. I’m thinking that something is hanging from the upper right of the control panel down the front right side. When the speed harmonic is “correct” the banging starts. Once the speed ramps up it usually stops. If I push lightly against the sheet metal the banging stops.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Any ideas?? I don’t want to cause any issues that will result in a service call.<o:p></o:p>

Insteadof

Premium Member
Machine Gun Silenced

FIXED sort of….<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
When first installed the machine walked. The service guy added a screw to the lower right front. This was an ECO to help reduce vibration. Some weeks later the banging started.<o:p></o:p>
1 finger pressure would stop the banging. Turns out there is a stress fracture where the front cover bends to meet the frame. Putting plastic shims between the front cover and the right side panel stops the banging noise. Used the plastic from an empty salsa bottle. Wedged it in as the banging occurred. Looks like the screw prevented movement and the front panel corner metal fractured. This allowed the corner to “flap”.<o:p></o:p>