• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Neptune Clothes Dryer MDG5500AWQ - Won't start, but heat from Hair Dryer helps

des1303

Premium Member
Model Number
MDG5500AWQ
Brand
Maytag
The control panel lights up fine. When I press Start the machine gives one jerk and stops.

If I point some heat at the control panel for a short while, it will usually start.

Any suggestions? Bad capacitor in the control board?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The problem is usually a bad membrane control panel assembly. Unfortunately, they have been discontinued.

Now on this model Maytag the membrane control panel assembly part number depends on the first two digits of your serial number.

Here's the membrane control panel touchpad assembly for your model you can order(For Maytag serial# that starts with 68 or lower):
33002537 Led Console Assy

Here's the membrane control panel touchpad assembly for your model if your dryer serial# starts with 69 or higher:
22004445 Led Console Assy

Jake

des1303

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake.

Is it the entire assembly, or is there a control board behind it that is the (likely) problem? If the latter, maybe I can send the board in to one of those control-board repair shops.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There is a control board behind the console assembly.

Do the control panel lights still work and respond with power on?

Look in your console, there will be a tech. sheet that has troubleshooting diagnostics in it.

The back panel of your console just has about 4 screws to remove it.

It could ALSO possibly be the control board that's malfunctioning or that may have burnt spots on it, look and see. Unplug or turn the breaker off to your dryer first!

Here is the control board for your model:
Main Control Board 33003028

If the latter, maybe I can send the board in to one of those control-board repair shops.
Yes possibly, try circuit board medics.

Jake

des1303

Premium Member
Yes, the control panel lights still work & panel responds. Only when I press Start I get a single jerk & then stop, but panel continues to function.

Will look into console, tech sheet, and control board. Thank you for the pointers!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted if you could please.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that is true.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.