• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag Neptune Dryer MCE8000AYW dryer slow starts, makes noise like there is a tennis ball in the drum

CLS

Premium Member
Model Number
MCE8000AYW
Brand
Maytag
Recently replaced belt, both drum rollers and front/back drum felt on Neptune dryer cabinet. Noticed drum glides were worn so I ordered glides as well as idler arm. Put dryer back together for use until parts arrived. Parts arrive, open dryer and shavings of belt are on bottom of dryer! I detach belt, install new idler arm and reassemble belt.

When I first installed the belt it was not a perfect circle. Making sure everything was properly aligned was easier this time. Installed drum glides and reassembled dryer. Issue: dryer slow starts and doesn't seem to be turning as fast as before. Makes a noise like there is a tennis ball in the drum.

Clothes don't seem to take any longer than before but do seem to ball up and i believe its due to slow rotation of drum. Any thoughts? Also the screw that the idler arm rests on which is attached to the fully motor mount bracket, "the screw" is bent a bit down towards the base of the cabinet. Not sure if this has any significance.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Makes a noise like there is a tennis ball in the drum
It sounds like a roller is not on the drum correctly. Where exactly is the "tennis ball" noise coming from?

CLS

Premium Member
I thought the same thing. With some body manipulation, I was able to reach back and feel to make sure the drum is on the rollers. :/
Could it possibly be a cheep belt?

rickgburton

Staff member
Make sure the belt is on the motor pulley and not the motor shaft. What's the part number of the belt you replaced? It should be 341241. That would account for the slow rotation but not the "tennis ball" noise.
Where exactly is the "tennis ball" noise coming from

CLS

Premium Member
I purchased the belt over a year ago as a spare. I would need to open up the dryer and look. Last night I observed it with a load of darks and the "tennis ball" noise seems to be the clothes balling up due to the slow rotation. I noticed I was having to untangle my clothes since the repair. The other thing I observed is the dryer moves when on. You can actually feel and see the movement. It's not moving around the floor but their is definitely motion. Does this help?

rickgburton

Staff member
This is one of those times when you need to take it apart to find the problem. I can only tell you some places to look like rollers, belt and seals. Sometimes when you run into problems like this with new parts, the only thing you can do is take it apart and start over. Make sure everything fits together properly. Take the belt off the motor pulley and turn the drum by hand. There shouldn't be any resistance. Make sure the belt is on correctly. Make sure the belt is on the motor pulley and not the motor shaft. If the machine is overloaded a lot, the belt might be stretched.
The other thing I observed is the dryer moves when on.
Find out what's causing it to move. Make sure the drum is installed correctly.

CLS

Premium Member
Would installing the drum felt incorrectly cause this? Also turning the drum by hand, how much effort should this take? I do know that when i did turn it with out the belt on, I had to put some effort into it. I just figured it was due to the knew parts because the old drum felt had pieces missing from it.

rickgburton

Staff member
Would installing the drum felt incorrectly cause this?
Oh yes, definitely.
I had to put some effort into it.
Not easy to explain online. Turn it by hand 360° two or three times and see if it drags in one or more spots or if it has about the same resistance all the way around.

Reactions: CLS

CLS

Premium Member
Actually, I see what you're saying. Its more of a sense of what it feels like during a rotation than a visual.