Maytag Neptune MAH3000 cuts out/shuts down intermittently

davjones

Premium Member
Model Number
MAH3000AWW
Brand
Maytag
The washer mentioned above shuts down at random times during the cycle -- either agitate or spin, though I don't remember that it has happened during the fill. By shutting down, I mean that the motor stops whatever it was doing and the On / power light goes off. Mashing the Start/Stop button restarts the machine for another random period of time. Sometimes runs all the way through, sometime stops once, sometimes have to restart it many times. Machine sounds normal while it's running. It seems like that maybe the main relay is dropping out.

I looked at the diagrams a little and (in my uneducated mind) determined that the main control board is very likely since that's where the relay is and also the circuitry that latches it closed after you let the button go. The motor board seems (to me) less likely because it doesn't really seem like a failure there would cause the power light to go off.

So what I'm asking for is agreement or disagreement from those of you who know much more about it than I. Obviously expensive to try a new board not knowing for sure that it's the culprit. While it seems like the trouble, I'm nagged knowing that there's another input of some type going to that board that has to be satisfied for it to stay running.

All I've done so far is to disconnect and reconnect every wire in the machine I could find in case of slight looseness or corrosion. Seemed to help for awhile, but that too could have been purely random.

Sorry if this has already been covered and I missed it, but with so many posters using just the model number, and maybe the word "problem" in their title, it's hard to tell what the post is actually about. Just my reaction. Plus my search technique might not be the best.

Thanks so much for any help or advice.

...Dave

Dave Jones
Fort McCoy, Florida USA

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

davjones

Premium Member
Thanks for those links, Jeff. I checked the water inlet screens and they are clear.

As for the door switch, it doesn't seem likely (to me, at least) that if it (or its wiring) was bad, that I'd be able to restart the machine just by pushing the start button, without touching the door or switch.

Link also mentioned the inertia switch (although I guess that could include the other two out of balance switches, since they're all three in series), but aren't they in play only during the spin? This machine cuts out during spin or tumble -- randomly. And besides, it doesn't seem probable that I'd be able to restart it just by pushing the button if it were trouble in that area.

Just would like to know if I'm looking at something wrong or missing something before I buy a main machine board. Obviously not expecting a firm diagnosis in a web forum -- just trying to make a more educated guess than I could with my own limited knowledge....

Thanks again for that and any further help!

...Dave

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
As for the door switch, it doesn't seem likely (to me, at least) that if it (or its wiring) was bad, that I'd be able to restart the machine just by pushing the start button, without touching the door or switch.

Link also mentioned the inertia switch (although I guess that could include the other two out of balance switches, since they're all three in series), but aren't they in play only during the spin? This machine cuts out during spin or tumble -- randomly. And besides, it doesn't seem probable that I'd be able to restart it just by pushing the button if it were trouble in that area.
I find it is best to check rather than guess.....but sometimes I will do a guesstimate.

Just would like to know if I'm looking at something wrong or missing something before I buy a main machine board.
Link above is motor and motor control, not machine board.

Some helps...
LINK> Neptune Washer Repair Tips | Appliance Aid
LINK> Neptune Washer Problem Solving Chart | Appliance Aid

jeff.

davjones

Premium Member
Thanks for that too, Jeff.

I'm like you -- I'd rather check than guess, but it's sooooo hard to do that when you have an intermittent thing, especially when it's working most of the time.

I did notice that one of those links talks about the motor control board. But as I look at the wiring diagram, I don't see how a problem there would cause the whole machine to shut down, which this seems to do because even the ON / power light goes off and the timer stops too -- it's not just that the motor quits. Again, just pushing the button gets it going again, without touching anything else. In your knowledge of these machines, would it be likely -- or even possible -- that the motor board could cause this?

I had the motor control board out of it last week to just look for anything burnt or loose, seemed fine, not that that proves anything...

Thanks again for your input to my problem.

...Dave