FIXED Maytag Neptune MAH5500BWW control panel 3 beeps, won't enter service mode

campirene

Premium Member
Model Number
MAH5500BWW
Brand
Maytag
Washer (Maytag Neptune MAH5500BWW) control buttons are mostly letting out 3 beeps for any activity. Even pressing OFF button gives 3 beeps. Certain buttons will switch work, as in switching temperature, but overall everything just beeps x3.

I've unplugged several times. Have unplugged for 10 minutes before putting power back on. No change.

I cannot get into service mode. Holding down delicates + heavy soil, 3x beep (3xB), then maybe in 3 seconds I get 3xB again. but never goes into service mode. I did get it to go into "Advertising Mode" but it just stayed there until I powered down (not certain if that does anything but show the lights work; they did).

I've done a ton of Googling today, read many messages here. Looking for suggestions as to which part I should try first.

I'm leaning towards replacing the touch-pad control panel first, any agreement here on that? I gather the serial number matters for which of those panels is appropriate for my machine.
SERIAL NO.: 74907915ZY

If this seems more like the control board is the issue, I'd welcome arguments for trying that first. Would like to not order both at once and have to send back the one that didn't fix the problem.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, You are correct, bad control panel.

This member had the same beeps and the new control panel fixed it: FIXED: MAH5500BWW Maytag Neptune ?Electical? Problem

Look on page 2 of that thread as well, as you have to clear the error codes after replacing it. It tells you how in your tech. data sheet which is inside that control panel.

Here's the control panel for your model and serial you can order:
Touchpad and Control Panel 22003238

Jake

campirene

Premium Member
Jake, thank you. And appreciate the fast response.

I called the parts supplier you link to this morning, but there was too much confusion over which control panel to order, and I had to bail until I could find more info. I hope this is the fix, but regardless, I will follow up with details once I know more and have tried replacing the touch panel, just to add to the collective wisdom in the forum.
I just spent almost $200 for same sort of control panel for our dishwasher, which is also probably 12+ yrs old, and there's always the question of whether to stop making expensive fixes and buy something new, or hang on. (but such a pain in the arse to swap out a dishwasher, or move clothes washer into cellar when the width of the unit is 1/4" less than the concrete walls leading down there... I had to shave the walls to get the Neptune down there so many years ago, being an inexperienced first-time homeowner.)

-wayne

(edit: Just placed order for overnight delivery. ... airbnb property, we can't live w/out the cleaning machines, and no laundromats in the mountain towns.)

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Wayne, I double checked the control panel is for your model per your serial number and its correct.:)

With all electronic touchpad appliances, there is always a much greater chance of failure more so than the old fashioned knob style from the 1950's through 1970's, which could almost go for 30 or 40 years with no problems.:)

Yes, let us know how it goes.

Jake

campirene

Premium Member
Jake,

"Steve Holt" moment. (... Arrested Development). I'm my wife's hero, for today anyway, and in turn, you're mine! I sprung for the expensive overnight delivery since we have an airbnb cottage and live far from any Laundromat.

Once I had all the wiring harnesses plugged into the board, I did a quick check that I could enter service mode, and the buttons otherwise behaved normally. They did. Load is running now.

For any other weekend handy people performing the same task, take a photo of the five or so cable harnesses on circuit board before you unplug just in case you need it. but ultimately they all seem to have only one place each can plug into. The (4) screws securing the circuit control board to the button panel were hard to get back in. Felt very much like cross-threading, but I suspect the plastic holes they go into are just not truly threaded, so just muscle them in. For all the white harness connectors, use a fingernail to pull back the tab on one side then pull out. There were a couple blue or green rectangular plugs which pull out w/out any tabs. Handle the circuit board with care; discharge all that static in your body and try to touch it by the edges. I bent a couple pins somehow on the connector between the touch panel and the board, but was able to straighten them out easily w/out breaking them off (another $200 had that happened).

Sadly, perhaps, the parts store didn't seem to know about the serial number part variations, but thankfully Jake provided the info.
-w

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Wayne, good job, glad to hear that new control panel got your washer back in business.:)

Thanks for the update and added information!

Yes, at Wards and Sears(15 years between them both) I about memorized all the serial numbers to know which proper part goes with the proper serial number.:)

Jake

campirene

Premium Member
Sometime soon I may be seeking advice about the dishwasher too rack seemingly not spraying water or otherwise not cleaning. Separate thread once I've taken the time to troubleshoot it. Many thanks.
Great job you do here.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, Thanks!

Jake

tkuhrich

Premium Member
Hey Guys,
I had the same problem, washer just beeps 3 times no matter what button I push. I found a used board that supposedly was tested and works. It was installed today and tonight when I ran my first load, it ran fine, but when I attempted a second load, just beeps. What did I over look?

Kent

tkuhrich

Premium Member
More information. After letting the washer sit for over an hour, it allowed me to start another load. So maybe something is getting hot?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What's the model and serial number of your washer? The model/serial number tag is located inside the door.

Jake

tkuhrich

Premium Member
Hey Jake,
Greatly appreciate your speedy response. I have contact the company to get a RMA...

Thanks - Kent

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Kent.

Jake