Maytag Neptune MDE5500AYW control panel lights work but dryer won't

Status
Not open for further replies.

OWhatAThrill

Premium Member
Ok, my taxes should be here Friday so I will go ahead and order the second part, the panel. That way if it doesn't' work, I will then return the other to see if it was damaged. Thank you again for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

sasgrw

Premium Member
I read the entire thread under and followed the instructions suggested here and in the service manual but have not been able to figure out why the dryer won’t start. Here’s what I’ve done.

Checked the continuity of:
• Both thermal fuses
• Both thermostats
• Door switch (NC and NO) worked properly with the switch in and out
• Membrane pins on J7 connector (assuming I did it correctly [see below])

Membrane Pad Continuity Test:
Do you test the pins on the board (male) or do you stick the multimeter probes into the ribbon (female)? The probe won’t fit in the ribbon connector but there are metal parts on the black connector I was able to touch with the probe. (pic)

Manual (page 9-14) says “Unplug connector and touch probe of meter to the appropriate pin numbers. Meter will show infinity on open keys and continuity on closed keys.”

What’s an “open key” and what’s a “closed key”?

The table that follows shows two pin numbers for each function. For example, the start/pause pad says J7(11) and J7(16). So I presume I touch one probe to each pin. The pin connector on the control board has a 1 and 16 at each end so I know I was touching the right pins.

All combinations in the table showed infinity. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad since I’m not sure what an “open key” is.

Other things I checked:
• The control board itself looks good (no burn marks)
• The start/pause button makes a single click sound when pushed but doesn’t start the dryer
• I ran Diagnostic Mode

• LED showed ‘d’
  • Pressed “wrinkle release” to see the codes

• Only one code – 6.
    • The table of codes on page 9-13 says that code 6 is “non volatile memory”, “problem detected with integrity of parameters stored in EEPROM memory”, but says the action to take is “disregard”.
  • I tried the “special tests” on page 9-7. Nothing revealed
• I ran the System Check while in diagnostic mode

• I ran a membrane pad check while in system check mode
  • All the pad lights came on
  • I was able to turn them off by pressing each pad button

Nothing has helped.

I think these is the only things left not tested:
• Timer
• Drive motor

Any other thoughts?

sasgrw

Premium Member
Forgot to mention I also checked the thermistor. It seems to be ok too. The diagnostic check said the temperature was 16 C (about 61 F), which seems about right since it was in the basement and hadn't been running. The thermistor registered about 14 on the multimeter which looks right for 61 F.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

open (no continuity), closed (continuity)

Do you test the pins on the board (male) or do you stick the multimeter probes into the ribbon (female)? The probe won’t fit in the ribbon connector
From the control panel ribbon cable, you need a little adapter for your meter probes so they can fit into those small slots.

I ran a membrane pad check while in system check mode
All the pad lights came on
I was able to turn them off by pressing each pad button
Ok, then its sounds like your control panel is fine, so it would be the control board that's the culprit.

But its No Longer Available: Main Control Board 33003028

Maybe time to retire your dryer and start dryer shopping?

Jake

msquillaci

The REAL fix described here. I saw a couple posts that said put a heating blanket over control panel and viola, it did fix, temporarily. Well that told me it was a temperature sensitive component. There are 2 fixes. If you are not handy with electronics then just replace the control board. that is about $140. If you know how to solder, the faulty component is a 3300uf 16v capacitor on the the control board. replace that fro about a dollar and the problem is GONE. I used a pinpoint heat gun to narrow down the actual component and saved $139. Good luck. Still a reliable dryer!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The board is No Longer Available, so it would either be do what you did or buy a new dryer.:)

This thread is 9 years old, and its time to close this thread.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.