Maytag Neptune Ocassionaly does not spin

CrossmenTop3

Premium Member
We can run maybe a dozen loads before we encounter the situation where we open the door and the tub is full of water (when it should have spun out). This has been going on for a year now. Normally we just spin the dial to the 3rd spin cycle and restart it - and it works fine. Good for maybe another dozen loads. Today however, it refused to cooperate and it repeatedly would not spin. (I took out some clothes thinking it was unbalanced but it did not help). I listened closely to the last spin cycle and what I noticed was that the tub did not drain. It tried to start spinning with a tub full of water - but could never get up to speed. Each time when the washer turned to 'off' I would move it back to spin 3, and restart it. No luck. I finally then pulled power cord, and powered up and then down. And the next time, it worked.

We also noticed sometimes the water is sudsy, which makes me suspect the tub never drained from the 1st or 2nd spin cycle.

The door lock light comes on bright the entire time.

I have checked and bypassed with jumpers all of the 'off balance' switches in the past and this has never solved the problem.

It's not like there is just a little water in the tub, either it's full or it's gone, so I dont THINK it's a problem with the pump drain line... could I be wrong?

Any advice is sincerely appreciated.

CrossmenTop3

Premium Member
Neptune not spinning out water

OK, it's me again. What I am noticing is that the water drain pump appears not to be coming on when required. If I listen closely to the washer in the 3rd spin cycle (for example when I put the knob to the 3rd cycle) I notice a 'sound' like a contact or solenoid or switch is being energized, but the pump is not running. If I then spin the knob completely around and back to the 3rd spin cycle, I can then hear the pump kick in and the water starts to drain, and the washer will finally spin the water out. Is my water pump malfunctioning or is the control board (the one below the tub in my front load washer)? James

CrossmenTop3

Premium Member
Neptune wont drain

OK, me again :) I opened up the machine and pulled out the control board beneath the tub and re-seated all contacts. I then disconnected and removed the drain assembly and checked for clogs - all were fine. I reseated all wires to the pump - and reassembled the machine - running another load to see if anything improved.

Can someone tell me if the control switch (solenoid?) for the water drain pump is in the controls in the top of the machine (e.g. where the spin control knob is located) or down below beneath the tub?

Given my long history with Neptune problems - I even have a spare board for the top (beneat the spin knob) and I've replaced it - the basic problem remains...

James

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Whats the model#?

The older Neptune's are prone to many problems besides that main control board.

The other problems are the door switch wax motor, the motor and motor controller has been upgraded, we haven't had that much problems with the water pump.

An intermittent problem like yours is really hard to track down.

You can do a Maytag Forum Search for all the issue's i just mentioned, and you should find alot of information on them.

Jake

CrossmenTop3

Premium Member
Neptune wont drain all the time

Model # is MAH3000AWA.

Can you tell me where the motor control is located? ON the upper board (behind the control panel) or the lower board (below the tub)?

Would there be logic in swapping out the drain pump?

I've had just about every part replaced on this washer over the past 6 years: drain assembly for mold, tub/seals, upper control board (2x), lower control board, and I am pretty sure the wax motor. Will the wax motor affect the drain pump?

Thanks.

James

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The motor controller is located at the bottom of the washer on the base itself in the front right side.

Yes, its possible it could be your drain pump is going out, like the bearing in it starting to go.

No, the wax motor affects the spin cycle mainly.

Jake

CrossmenTop3

Premium Member
Neptune washer not draining

Jake, thanks again. I thought I might run 1 test before I puchase a new pump. Connect a volt meter to the power at the pump and monitor the voltage when the problem is occurring. I'm guessing the part is 110v and I should see this on the meter when the problem occurs. Else, if I dont see it, then it's a bad relay on the control board. What I still dont understand is: Is there a relay on the motor control board (below the tub) for the pump, or is the relay on the upper control board (behind the main panel)?

James

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The Maytag Neptune Repair Service Manual goes into very good detail about the water pump circuits.

Yes, its 120 volts to the pump.

I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me to see the circuit strip.

Jake

CrossmenTop3

Premium Member
Neptune not draining

Called a local repair guy who suggested measuring voltage across the pump when it should be on. If no 120v, then its likely the timer. I found that If I spin the timer a few times around, eventually the drain motor kicks in. Will check drain motor voltage this evening. he ruled out the control board - said it does not sound likely.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On these older Maytag Neptune's I wouldn't rule out anything.:)

Let us know what you find.:)

Jake

CrossmenTop3

Premium Member
Maytag Neptune ocasionally not draining or spinning

OK, problem solved.

Opened front of washer, connected leads to my pump and then to voltmeter. Started washer and found that ocasionally there was 120v going to the drain pump, but the pump refused to work. Because of this, water remained in the tub and the tub was too heavy to go into the spin cycle. Ocasionally there was suds in the water, sometimes not. This indicated the drain pump did not run during the initial cycle either.

I bought a new pump for $55 and installed it in 15 minutes. This was an 80w pump versus 50w - so it's more powerful, and louder.

We've run 20 loads now - no problems.

Thanks for all the help from this forum.

James
:D

CrossmenTop3

Premium Member
Maytag does not always spin or drain

OK, opened unit from the front. Put some jumpers off the drain pump and connected to my Volt Ohm Meter. Ran a few loads and noticed that in certain 'spin cycles' there was 120V going to the pump, but all I heard was a dull buzzing sound - and the drain pump was not running. Grabbed the timer knob and spun it around 360 degrees to the same point, noticed 120v on the VOM again, but this time heard the pump kick in. Deduced the pump was bad. Bought a new one locally for $55 and installed it in 10m. This one was an 80W pump versus 50W on the old one. It's noticably louder. BUT, problem solve. Have been running loads for 2 weeks not - never an issue. AND, we notice that the clothes are coming out of the spin cycle much less 'wet'. Thanks for all the help at this forum.

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
The pump is controlled by the machine control board in the console. The pump sounds like it's a problem child. In rare circumstances, I've found water valves leaking in after a spin is done which looks like it never drained. The motor control only operations the motor and is powered with 120 v by the machine control (console). Hey, if you got suds....switch to HE detergent. Go to www.tide.com to read up on it...it's actually pretty important to you and your washer. Regular detergent can wreak havoc on those pumps since pumps are designed to pump water and not suds....causes overheat and binding...trust me ;)

Justin (appliance Technician)