Maytag Neptune Repair Manual

TheGib

Premium Member
Hi,

Here's the service manual for your model: www.applianceblog.com/manuals/MaytagNeptuneStack.pdf

I remember having a similar issue, and replacing the struts fixed it.

The shocks should be stout with heavy compression so it is difficult to compress. You can see if the top of the tub will easily press down onto the shocks.

The service manual will tell you how to access the shocks to check them.

Here is a new shock strut kit for your model in case you need to order it:
Shock Absorber 22001988 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake
Thanks Jake, I almost paid $18 for that manual.
I took a chance and ordered the struts already. Sounds like I'm on the right track. The struts are very loose and move up and down very easily. It turned out the banging noise was the drain hose hitting the back of the machine while it was doing the jig in the laundry room. Thanks for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The struts are very loose and move up and down very easily.
Yup, then the new struts will fix it, keep us posted.

Jake

TheGib

Premium Member
Bummer! I received the struts and installed them today. Same problem. The washer just seems out of balance when it starts to go into the spin cycle. It acts like it needs a weight on the side. What else suspends the drum? It is difficult to see in there with the dryer on top. Any other thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You should have 2 outer tub springs that are on top that hold the outer tub in place from the top, you'll need to remove the dryer from the top of the washer though to get access from the top.

The 2 springs are #13 here: Parts for Maytag MHW2000AWW: Cabinet-Front (washer) Parts

Then you have a front weight #23 here: Parts for Maytag MHW2000AWW: Outer Tub (washer) Parts Then a counter-weight in the back #9.

Possibly one of the top springs is cracked or broken since you mentioned:
It acts like it needs a weight on the side
Only other possibility is the rear outer tub bearing has gone bad. Does the inner spin basket drum have a lot of play in it? try moving it up/down and back/forth with your hand.

Jake

TheGib

Premium Member
I have the front torn apart and the springs look good. I'm looking for the weights now. I do have the front trim off to the inner and outer drums and when I put the drum in one certain position I can put my hands/fingers on the top of the outer drum and with my thumbs I can lift the inner drum and get a noise like the two drums are hitting. That's only in one certain position. Am I doomed with a bad bearing and drum replacement?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I can put my hands/fingers on the top of the outer drum and with my thumbs I can lift the inner drum and get a noise like the two drums are hitting. That's only in one certain position. Am I doomed with a bad bearing and drum replacement?
That's certainly what it sounds like, bad bearing, too much play in the inner spin basket.

Here's the lip seal kit(Video Included):
12002022 Lip Seal Kit

Here's the rear and front outer tub bearings:

WP22003441 Bearing, Rear

WP22002934 Bearing, Front

You can order the bearings and lip seal separately, without ordering the Complete Outer Tub Assembly 22004465 which includes the new bearings and lip seal already installed for you, but its a huge job to replace them, and getting the old bearings out may be the most difficult part, but there is a Tony Tool that would do it.

[video=youtube_share;ZxS8SE7XINY]https://youtu.be/ZxS8SE7XINY[/video]

Jake

TheGib

Premium Member
Ok, I replaced the bearings while the outer tub was in place. Trying to remove the stacked dryer was a nightmare so I opted to replace the bearings without removing the outer tub. Just like working on an old car. The bearings did not feel bad at all. Hardly any play in them. I put it all back together with the new bearings and still have the problem. I got behind the machine and ran it through the spin cycle. It certainly appears to be the inner drum hitting the outer drum. Can that shaft be bent? Again, I can move the inner drum up and hit the outer drum from the front only in one position like it is a bent shaft or broken on one side at the mount. And it is actually tight in all other positions.

TheGib

Premium Member
Stop the presses! I removed the rear baffles in the inner drum and lo and behold, one of the bolts holding the spinner support had snapped off. It appears the noise was the inner drum banging against the spinner support arm since there was nothing to hold it tight. The part is on order and I will keep you posted on the continuing saga. Almost have a new washer now.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Stop the presses! I removed the rear baffles in the inner drum and lo and behold, one of the bolts holding the spinner support had snapped off. It appears the noise was the inner drum banging against the spinner support arm since there was nothing to hold it tight. The part is on order and I will keep you posted on the continuing saga. Almost have a new washer now.
Excellent, good find! I didn't even think of that, since its so rare in happening to the Maytag models. Its much more common on the Frigidaire models.

Is this the part you ordered:

W10181639 Support - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake

TheGib

Premium Member
Yes, that is the part I ordered. I received it yesterday and installed it today. All is running smooth again. The wife is happy with our "New" machine now. Thanks for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake