• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Neptune TL Clutch Pulley and Tumblers Locked or Seized

dianne

Premium Member
We're going out today to buy a Roper.It has dials!No computer.And Only $350 instead of $800.It will do the job I need it to do and I have a warranty that will get me 4 yrs. I was told by a local repair store here that no washers are made today to last more than 5yrs. Maytag is now made by Whirlpool and GE is getting out of the appliance business(they have bigger fish to fry)and their appliances are also being made by Whirlpool.I haven't heard anything about LG.
As I'm trying to get my Maytag ready to get it out of the laundry room ,I can't get all the water out of it and it stinks bad! I use towels to sop it up and 10 min later there's more water.There's no water going to it so it's been in there somewhere;no wonder it stinks.What??

Fatima

Premium Member
HI Dick,
I read the entire thread and my problem is similar but i don't know if it's the transmission or the clutch. i've taken the front off and removed all the spinners and cleaned everything out. nothing stuck in there, watched the agitators and they don't move at all, the belt is good but when it starts squealing really loud i noticed that the belt is trying to go in the CCW direction and sounds scary!! so i don't know if related to the belt not going CCW and if this is the pulley system or is the problem transmission based and that's why the agitators don't spin? the tub spins and the water drains no problem and everything sounds good until the CCW spinning. thanks for your help

dh1200s

HI Dick,
I read the entire thread and my problem is similar but i don't know if it's the transmission or the clutch. i've taken the front off and removed all the spinners and cleaned everything out. nothing stuck in there, watched the agitators and they don't move at all, the belt is good but when it starts squealing really loud i noticed that the belt is trying to go in the CCW direction and sounds scary!! so i don't know if related to the belt not going CCW and if this is the pulley system or is the problem transmission based and that's why the agitators don't spin? the tub spins and the water drains no problem and everything sounds good until the CCW spinning. thanks for your help

Fatima there was a sticky for the FAV6800A I can't seem to locate maybe Jake can point you to it. In that sticky it provides some guidance to remove the Clutch Pulley. I feel that the one bearings that support the spin cycle are seized. Depending on the Outer Tub design that One-Way bearing will be setting above the Clutch Pulley the original Maytag Outer Tub design. In what I call the gen 2 design that One-Way bearing is incorporated in the Lower Outer Tub bearing. Root cause of your failure is a Tub Seal Leak.

Google this phrase ""FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub bearing replacement"" you will find a thread on another forum. Follow that thread for removing the Clutch Pulley and inspect the Clutch Pulley attach your response/pics of what you find. Once you remove the Clutch Pulley let me know if your machine uses the Upper One-Way bearing seated above the Clutch Pulley. There are pics in that thread that will call out the Upper One-Way bearing. If this Upper One-Way bearing is not present then you have a Gen 2 Outer Tub design. Let me know what you find and we will go from there. If the Upper One-Way bearing is present once removed the the Wash Basket will rotate CCW and CW

The Wash Basket should never rotate CW under normal operation. The One-Way bearing in the Clutch Pulley prevents that.

Your going to find lots of rust in the Clutch Pulley.......Tub Seal failure.

Jake where is the sticky supporting the FAV6800AWW I can't locate?

Dick

Jake I found the Sticky my bad........ Fatima review this Sticky to remove the Clutch Pulley in your FAV6800A....Neptune TL Washer FAV6800AWW - DC and UC error code see part 2 for Clutch Pulley removal.

Last edited:

Fatima

Premium Member
-------

Dick, i took it off and am attaching some pics, looks like the bolt broke inside there, not from me removing it, it came off fairly easily. The green part turns both CW and CCW, not sure if i should be checking for anything else on it? thx

Fatima

Premium Member
photo 1.JPGphoto 4.JPG

dh1200s

-------

Dick, i took it off and am attaching some pics, looks like the bolt broke inside there, not from me removing it, it came off fairly easily. The green part turns both CW and CCW, not sure if i should be checking for anything else on it? thx

OK from the pic's of the Clutch Pulley the Outer Bearing ring should separate from the top of the Clutch Pulley. It looks like the Spinner Shaft Coupler is seized in the Upper One-Way bearing and Clurch Pulley One-Way bearing. The Tub Seal has failed and allowed wash water to contaminate those One-Way bearings common failure with this much time on the machine.

Does the Wash Basket now rotate both directions by hand? Open the washer lid and spin both CCW (spin direction) and CW...just checking to make sure Spinner Support is not seized in Outer Tub bearings.

If that 3/8" bolt broke off in the agitator shaft you would need to extract as one of the repair steps along as all the steps to do an Outer Tub rebuild......big job if you viewed the thread ""FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub bearing replacement""

Not many owner's are up for that.

May be time for a replacement machine. If you decide to repair I will try to help. All steps called out in the above thread........Dick

Fatima

Premium Member
Dick,
the basket rotates both ways by hand. are you saying i need to replace the outer tub? that seems fine, i would think i just need to replace those bearings that are all rusted?
i don't think i mentioned in the initial post, but when i would hear the loud squealing noise, it would smell like burning, i know now it was the belt when it was trying to spin CCW and would seize up.
thanks,

dh1200s

Dick,
the basket rotates both ways by hand. are you saying i need to replace the outer tub? that seems fine, i would think i just need to replace those bearings that are all rusted?
i don't think i mentioned in the initial post, but when i would hear the loud squealing noise, it would smell like burning, i know now it was the belt when it was trying to spin CCW and would seize up.
thanks,

Leaky Tub Seal killed the machine....you could throw in a new Clutch Pulley but I think you said the 3/8" bolt was sheared off. That bolt will shear off if you try to remove in the wrong direction. It has standard thread. Can you clarify is that Clutch Pulley bolt sheared off. See the exploeded parts view from the link I attached.

If the wash basket spins both directions then the upper and lower outer tub bearings are good for now but I can't judge how long a replacement clutch pulley would hold up. A permanent fix is the Outer Tub rebuild.

When I ordered out a Clutch Pulley replacement many years ago it was $51 delivered to the house....price has gone way up.

Your call on replacing the Clutch Pulley can you clarify if the Clutch Pulley bolt is shared off in the Agitator Shaft. See the exploded parts view of the Clutch Pulley link I previously posted.

If that bolt sheared off it a game changer in terms of replacement ie easy out the bolt or buy new Agitator Shaft if possible from this site if they carry.

Going to bed been clearing my 300' driveway of 26" of snow here in SE PA.......Dick

Forgot to ask how much down time can you tolerate with the machine?

Last edited:

Fatima

Premium Member
Hi Dick, sorry for the long lapse in reply. I've used a friends washer, got back to it and realized the bolt was not broken, just lots of dust and metal from the grinding and i've cleaned it off and added lots of pb blaster and put everything back together, the tumblers now work and move again, so appears they just needed a little help of some grease. Now that it's all back together i started the rinse, but now it's clanking and i can see that it's something with the pulley, i'm thinking i didn't put something back together correctly, i inspected the pulley when it was off and it worked correctly.

dh1200s

Hi Dick, sorry for the long lapse in reply. I've used a friends washer, got back to it and realized the bolt was not broken, just lots of dust and metal from the grinding and i've cleaned it off and added lots of pb blaster and put everything back together, the tumblers now work and move again, so appears they just needed a little help of some grease. Now that it's all back together i started the rinse, but now it's clanking and i can see that it's something with the pulley, i'm thinking i didn't put something back together correctly, i inspected the pulley when it was off and it worked correctly.

OK so when you tore down the Clutch Pulley the Spinner Shaft Coupler that rides in both the One-Way bearing in the Upper Bearing ring and the One-Way Bearing in the Clutch Pulley and that Spinner Shaft Coupler was not seized into either of those One-Way Bearings…..that’s good news.

If the Clutch Pulley is not properly seated on install that could cause a noise issue. Most times the Clutch Pulley will spin off if not installed/seated properly.

Did you tear down the Clutch Pulley down to removing the Large Wrap Stainless Steel spring in the Clutch Pulley for Clutch Pulley hub clean up? I found a lot of crap in the Clutch Pulley after I removed the white cover on the Clutch Pulley exposing that Large Wrap spring.

From your previous question I never answered; ”” the basket rotates both ways by hand. are you saying i need to replace the outer tub? that seems fine, i would think i just need to replace those bearings that are all rusted?””

I was having you check that the Outer Tub bearings were not seized (basket rotates both ways by hand) with Clutch Pulley emoved from the machine as we were troubleshooting down to the fail point causing the Drive Belt squeal/Clutch Pulley lock up.

It’s unknown how much service time you will get with your re-lube of both those One-Way bearings in the Clutch Pulley assembly.

Keep us posted….Dick

Sorry did some post edit's time to pull the plug.

Last edited:

DCW

Premium Member
Dick,
I been following a couple of your threads and thought I had a bad clutch assembly. I ran the diagnostic test and can't get the basket to spin. I had the same problem as Roxy in another thread. The wash cycle would get stuck and just repeat the agitation over and over and never complete the load.

I now have the basket out of the unit and upside down on the floor. My clutch looks perfect. I have no leaks, no corrosion or damage in the clutch or around the bearing. Here's my question. The agitator shaft spins fine. But I can't get the basket to turn at all. Is the split shaft that is on the outside of the agitator shaft suppose to spin? is that the basket shaft? If it is, mine won't budge.

FAV6800AWQ
17358307GR

Thanks,
Darrin

Attachments

• IMG_0238a.jpg
    IMG_0238a.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 40