Maytag Neptune TL Washing Machine stops in spin cycle in Super Wash only

Eagle

Premium Member
Model Number
FAV6800AWW
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag Neptune TL Washing machine that in the Super Wash cycle at the 12 minute mark (spin area) it will stop and give a dc error (after three tries-normal). It only does this in the Super Wash cycle. The normal or quick wash cycle does not error, it completes as normal. I have a service manual I downloaded and I have run the tests: Quick Spin Test and went through the Quick Service Cycle Test and both have passed. I have also run the test on the Tub Displacement Diagnostics and it seems to work fine. If I do a diagnostic Code display it says d. I had this error three years ago and found the Base strut on the front right jammed because water had gotten into it. I repaired it and it lasted till now. It has been replaced with a new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :rolleyes:

dh1200s

I have a Maytag Neptune TL Washing machine that in the Super Wash cycle at the 12 minute mark (spin area) it will stop and give a dc error (after three tries-normal). It only does this in the Super Wash cycle. The normal or quick wash cycle does not error, it completes as normal. I have a service manual I downloaded and I have run the tests: Quick Spin Test and went through the Quick Service Cycle Test and both have passed. I have also run the test on the Tub Displacement Diagnostics and it seems to work fine. If I do a diagnostic Code display it says d. I had this error three years ago and found the Base strut on the front right jammed because water had gotten into it. I repaired it and it lasted till now. It has been replaced with a new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :rolleyes:

Eagle.

Good job on using the SM and machine diags......what is the history of the Clutch Pulley?

Have you or a service tech ever replaced the Clutch Pulley if so how many times to date?

Do you notice excessive wash tub swing when your machine enters a spin cycle of any wash cycle......just not tripping an unbalance error?

I would start by removing the Clutch Pulley, inspect, do relube maintenance per the sticky , check for proper One-Way bearing operation (Spinner Shaft coupler will lock up in one direction and rotate freely in the other of the Clutch Pulley One-Way bearing) per the FAV6800A Sticky. Re-install the Clutch Pulley and check the wash cycles for proper cycle operation.

I have never heard of an issue of this type for one particular wash cycle. I would not rule out any other suggestions but I would perform the Clutch Pulley inspection/maintenance before I replace any parts. The Service Mode checks did give a good base line system check of the TDS and it's input to the Console Control Board.

I'm an owner like you and have some hands on repair experience of my machines.........Dick

Eagle

Premium Member
Dick, I have not done any work on the Clutch Pulley. The machine is 9 years old. The one-way bearing operation works fine. I will look into doing the maintenance. What type of lubrication is needed? It does have some vibration in the high speed spin even when empty. Thank you.

dh1200s

Eagle,

I use WD-40 if you have no light oil just stay with the WD-40. A good wipe down of the One-Way bearing in the Clutch Pulley housing then a light spray of the One-Way needle rollers.....use no grease of any kind.

Does you machine series use the One-Way Upper bearing ring assembly?

See in this parts exploded view; Labeled Upper Oneway Roller Clutch Bearing. If used clean that up as well if possible.

Attachments

Eagle

Premium Member
Do you have to remove the outer tub assy to get clutch assy out. Also it is now starting to error in the normal cycle at the 12 minute mark. dc error - Service code 10. I would 3 in 1 oil would work fine for this?

dh1200s

Also is this bolt right or left threaded?

Its standard thread righty tighty lefty loosy

I hold the clutch pulley with one hand and with my 3/8" socket loosen. The bolt should com out fairly easy. Working from the floor I put the socket wrench in the 3 o'clock position and pull toward the front panel/me.

Believe that's right for working inverted...........don't sheer off the bolt..........I'm at work or I would run down to the basement and check..........haven't pulled off the Clutch Pulley in a very long time.

Also I would clean up the the Clutch Pulley One-Way bearing and the Upper Bearing ring One-way bearing I would use WD-40 but all you have is 3 IN One give it a try. When the Clutch Pulley One-Way bearing starts to get sticky and fails to Lock up properly in Spin Cycle, this will causes agitator slip and tumbler movement dragging the wash basket load off balance causing PITA DC/UC unbalance errors.

You may find rust on the One-Way Bearings that is why I like to use WD-40 for clean up and re-lube. I use to use Slick 50 One Lube and found that WD-40 does a better job lubing those One-Way needle bearings..........Dick

Last edited:

Eagle

Premium Member
I did sheer off the bolt. The clutch assy does need to be cleaned. It has some surface rust on it and dirt in it. I will use WD-40. I had to remove the tub assy out of the unit to remove the bolt from the shaft. The first time really taking the machine apart so it has been a learning experience. I did not know what grade the bolt is, it only has an R on the head. Generally no markings is a grade 2, 3 marks Grade 5 and 6 marks is Grade 8. I did find a Grade 5 bolt- exact style and size, and also got a Grade 8 Hex head bolt 3/4" long instead of 1/2". I'm not sure which one I should use. - Jon

dh1200s

I did sheer off the bolt.
Sorry to hear that.

Is the part I refer to as the Spinner Shaft Coupler.....can it be removed from the Clutch Pulley One-Way bearing?

WD-40 is the way to go with a lint free cloth for clean up of the One-Way bearing. Does your series use the Upper On-Way bearing ring? if so what is the condition of that One-Way bearing?

Just some additional pics to show the Upper One-Way bearing ring if used on your machine series and the One-Way bearing ring in the Clutch Pulley Hub

Dick

Attachments

Eagle

Premium Member
Every thing seems to easily come apart and all the bearings look to be pretty good condition. It does have the Upper One way bearing - bearing need some cleaning and lubrication. I think it will clean up pretty good. The spanner shaft came out of the lower bearing easier than the top but it does come out - a little stickier. Jon

dh1200s

Every thing seems to easily come apart and all the bearings look to be pretty good condition. It does have the Upper One way bearing - bearing need some cleaning and lubrication. I think it will clean up pretty good. The spanner shaft came out of the lower bearing easier than the top but it does come out - a little stickier. Jon
Good deal Jon it looks like you can get back in service with Clutch Pulley One-Way Bearing/Upper Bearing Ring One-Way Bearing maintenance to stop the DC/UC unbalance errors. Long term fix is Tub Seal/Tranny O-Ring replacement before the wash water leak takes out the Outer Tub Bearings.......that also kills those One-Way Bearings over time...........Dick

Eagle

Premium Member
Is the tub seal under the transmission and how hard is it normally to get the transmission out? I saw the thread on the machine that had a lot of corrosion and the problems he had getting it out. Also there are wear marks on the coupling top for the upper bearing ring. I am hoping this will not cause any problems. Jon

dh1200s

Is the tub seal under the transmission and how hard is it normally to get the transmission out? I saw the thread on the machine that had a lot of corrosion and the problems he had getting it out. Also there are wear marks on the coupling top for the upper bearing ring. I am hoping this will not cause any problems. Jon

Jon Google this text FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub bearing replacement

The 1st hit should take you to the Outer Tub rebuild I helped a few owners thru on a different forum. Lots of detailed pics that will help you on tear down to replace the Tub Seal and Tranny O-Ring. Short answer for ""Is the tub seal under the transmission"" Yes it is but you have to also remove the Spinner Support to get to the Tub Seal.........lots of detailed info at the thread above that a search on the text will take you to.

""how hard is it normally to get the transmission out?"" not to difficult but you may find the Spinner Support bolts a bit of a challenge. I don't want to post a link to the direct thread on another forum on Jakes forum that is not right.....just Google FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub bearing replacement and read through the thread the two owners (and others) I helped......with lots of pic's. Stay on this forum and I will continue to support any efforts, questions, concerns regarding the repair direction you decide on. We should start a new thread here for FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub Rebuild.

I have to leave for work early today but will try to check in at break time. This weekend is a bit busy for me I'm watching my grandson of and on Sun Morn to Mon eve. but will try to check in.........Dick