Maytag not heating up

sunflowergirl252

Premium Member
I have a Maytag pye1000ayw clothes dryer. Made lots of noises so I replaced the blower house. While I was at it, replaced the belt..what a pain!!! Now that it's all back together and only 1 screw left over, the dryer won't heat. What happened? I never touched the heating element!! Is the filament broke? Is the theromstat broke? I did do a lot of banging around trying to get the drum in. How do I take the element out if that is what is wrong? If it's the thermostat, that looks pretty easy. Could it have been that I wired the motor back incorrectly? I've already checked the circuit and it's not tripped.

Besides no HEAT, the dryer sure is quiet! :eek:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

sunflowergirl252

Premium Member
Heater switch

Do you know how the wires should put back on the motor? I don't know how to read a schematic chart. I took digital pics and tried to put everything back correctly but maybe I put an orange where a red should be??

Is there an easier way to get to the motor without taking the drum off cuz putting that belt on was a B!

Would the dryer still start up and turn the drum even if I wired it back incorrectly?

Thanks Jeff.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Would the dryer still start up and turn the drum even if I wired it back incorrectly?
Would depend on which one(s) where messed up.

Do you know how the wires should put back on the motor?
I found this diagram online....hope it is close enough to yours....

Shows motor heat switch/centrifigal switch 3&4 as red and red.
Shows 1 as white. 2 as Purple. 7 as orange.

jeff.

sunflowergirl252

Premium Member
Wires

Jeff, thank you so much!!! I DID wire it wrong after all. In the digital pic I took before I unhooked the wires, it was difficult to distinguish red from orange. I had those two hooked up incorrectly. Works like a charm now!

Thank you.