• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Over the Range Microwave question

eoneal22

Premium Member
Model Number
MMV5207BAB
Brand
Maytag
Maytag over the range microwave
Model # mmv5207bab
SN: 10854723jt

Wierd Issue - When you close the microwave door, the microwave starts to run (without magnitron firing) without pushing any buttons. The internal tray is rotating. The microwave will not cook until you put time on the control panel and hit "start". I have unplugged the unit and left if off for several hours. Any clue on this one? Is this a door closed switch gone bad?
If I do replace the microwave with another brand, do they use the same mounting bracket that is on the wall mounted?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

When you close the microwave door, the microwave starts to run (without magnitron firing) without pushing any buttons. The internal tray is rotating. Any clue on this one? Is this a door closed switch gone bad?
Most times yes this is a door switch/door switch wire/door switch mechanism problem....odd time a relay on the smart board may be welded closed but that is rare and a door switch problem is much more common.

If I do replace the microwave with another brand, do they use the same mounting bracket that is on the wall mounted?
Most times never! New unit = new/different brackets.

jeff.