Maytag Perfoma PDET920AYW Dryer tripping breaker as soon as its plugged into the outlet.

RaganR

Premium Member
Model Number
PDET920AYW
Brand
Maytag
My Maytag Performa PDET920AYW dryer stopped working several days ago. I had done several loads of laundry in it and opened the door to check to see if the load I had on was completely dry. It was still damp so I closed the door and pushed the timer knob back in to start the dryer up again and NOTHING. I checked the thermal fuse and door switch both were working. The dryer was recieving power and the breaker was not tripped. I decided that the timer was bad due to ruling out all other likely causes. Went to local repair shop and replaced the timer myself. I did my best to connect the wires back just the way they were by removing them one at a time from the failed timer and placing on the new timer. This was simple enough and I felt sure I had solved my problem. But when I plugged the dryer back into the power receptacle a spark shot out and the breaker immediately tripped. Could I have miswired the timer and that be the cause of the breaker immediately tripping? I am a complete novice at this but need to try to repair it myself due to funds being tight. I do not have a ohm meter but will purchase one tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Ragan,

Here's the wiring diagram for your model:
You can see the timer electrical connections are marked per the color of your wires, you may want to verify you have it wired properly first.

If its wired properly then it has to be a defective timer, that's all it can be since it wasn't tripping the breaker before you replaced it.:)

Here's the timer for your model:
WP37001240 Timer-Dryer

Jake

RaganR

Premium Member
I am 99% sure that I have it wired correctly. I believe that the first timer I recieved was faulty. I ordered it used for Ebay. I then went to a local repair shop and got another timer. I know it is good because they tested it in front of me. I put it in the machine and the same thing is happening. Could the first timer being bad have caused damage to the cord on the dryer, the wall outlet or breaker. The breaker has no jiggle and still feels tight. Thanks for the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Could the first timer being bad have caused damage to the cord on the dryer, the wall outlet or breaker.
I don't know, possibly.

But something seems very odd if before you replaced these timers it wasn't tripping the breaker, you'll need to have a tech. come out to see what's going on. Its going to be impossible to help you without me coming to your house to see what's going on myself.

Jake