• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Performa - Need to diagnose strange noise

JBrown

Premium Member
Model Number
PAVT234AWW
Brand
Maytag
Hello All!

Our washing machine is making this strange noise once in the spinning cycle. I've checked the pump, no clogs and seems to be working fine. I've checked the belt and pulleys, all is well there too. The noise seems to be coming from the center area where transmission is. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem? You can view a video recording i took of machine making the noise here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykIFuw_BktU

Thanks in advance for your help! JB

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok JB, saw the video, lets remove the belt then put it in spin and see if that noise remains.

You did turn all your pulley's and made sure they turned smoothly and freely?

Jake

JBrown

Premium Member
Jake,

Indeed, I turned all the pulleys and everything runs smoothly. I did this lastnight before the video clip... I took the belt off, made sure belt was fine, turned pulleys and all is well there. I then put belt back on and ran spin cycle only... and the video shows the results. I'll try again tonight running the spin cycle with belt off and post results. Thanks!

JB

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok JB,

Yes, post back tonight the results of running the spin cycle with the belt removed.

Jake

JBrown

Premium Member
Jake,

I took the belt off. No noise. engine pulley was spinning fine. So are talking something in the transmission system?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Possibly yes, but watching that video again makes me thinks its the water pump, either something is in it or the water pump bearing is making that noise. Because the noise seems faster than the transmission is spinning.

So I'd first remove the water pump and check for something inside it.

Jake