• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Plus - MSD2556AEW - Not cooling at all

Jesse White

Premium Member
Model Number
MSD2556AEW
Brand
Maytag
This refrigerator stopped cooling a while back. Today I found the time to really tear into it. Here's what I found. No frost built up. In fact, the cooling fins in the freezer were room temperature. The defrost element was NOT on. The defrost element was also room temperature. The condenser was VERY hot. The area under the refrigerator is relative clean, but I cleaned it more just in case. The condenser fan was working. The fan in the freezer was also working. Impedance (resistance / ohms) at the condenser are 3.5 / 3.7 / 7.2

When plugged in, 120 volts are applied to the start and common. After the condenser warms the voltage at the start drops to 90 volts and the run side voltage goes to 150 volts. Yes, voltage is measured at both the run, and start pins. Is this normal? What would cause this? I don't see a relay near the condenser. Does the adaptive defrost board control this?

I should also mention, I can hear and feel the condenser running. It is very quiet, but it does run.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

The condenser was VERY hot.

The condenser ( tubing ) or the compressor ( motor )?

When plugged in, 120 volts are applied to the start and common. After the condenser warms the voltage at the start drops to 90 volts and the run side voltage goes to 150 volts.

Just measure the voltage supplied for the 2 wires from the refrigerator. ( often blue and white or orange and blue ).

I should also mention, I can hear and feel the condenser running.

Compressor?

No frost built up. In fact, the cooling fins in the freezer were room temperature

If the compressor is running and we have no cooling happening = major system problem.....leaker, restriction, inefficient compressor or any combination of these = BIG$ repair.

jeff.

Jesse White

Premium Member
Yes, Compressor. I think. It's about a gallon sized black tank. Obviously I'm not a refrigeration guy, LOL

So I'm probably looking at a new Compressor, plus paying someone to "charge" the system with refrigerant?

I take it that's normal then to have power on both pins? I assumed it would put 120 volts on the start pin until it got warm, then switch to 120 volts on the run pin.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
So I'm probably looking at a new Compressor, plus paying someone to "charge" the system with refrigerant?

Or more.

I take it that's normal then to have power on both pins?

Yes.

jeff.